New to archery...looking for advise on broadheads

haymons22

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
I just got my first bow about a month ago and I'm not confident enough to hunt with it just yet but if I am before the end of the season I'm going to try it out. Just looking for some advice on good broadheads for deer. Fixed blade or mechanical? What grain? Etc... Like I said I'm new to it and very eager to learn. I didn't know how much fun it could be to just practice with one lol.

Practice while moving your bow string weight up. Maybe a week at a time. If your target shooting @ 50lb pull then move up to 60lb. for a week, adjust your sights of course and then move up to 70lb for a week and another sight adjustment. Head weight depends on what you're hunting. Also I would study shot placement (deer for example) of arrows from different angles, depending upon how the animal presents. You want to get the best shot for a humane kill as well as not having to track it forever.

I use mechanical broadheads. They weigh the same as my practice field tips. Fixed broadheads have more area in flight and therefore have a greater possibility of being deflected by an unseen branch or twig resulting in a missed shot.

Practice, practice, practice and then triple your efforts.

I just got my first bow about a month ago and I'm not confident enough to hunt with it just yet but if I am before the end of the season I'm going to try it out. Just looking for some advice on good broadheads for deer. Fixed blade or mechanical? What grain? Etc... Like I said I'm new to it and very eager to learn. I didn't know how much fun it could be to just practice with one lol.
I use fixed blade muzzy 125 grain. I tried mechanicals when they first came out and shot a deer and it didnt open. They've come a long way with them the past few years ! The muzzy broad heads come with a practice blade so you can shoot it and know EACTLY how it's going to fly when shooting a deer. Plus $36 for 6 broad heads isn't a bad deal either. And remember when you shoot at a deer if your in a treestand aim for where you want the arrow to come out not for where you want it to go in. Let me know if you need anymore info.

I use fixed blade muzzy 125 grain. I tried mechanicals when they first came out and shot a deer and it didnt open. They've come a long way with them the past few years ! The muzzy broad heads come with a practice blade so you can shoot it and know EACTLY how it's going to fly when shooting a deer. Plus $36 for 6 broad heads isn't a bad deal either. And remember when you shoot at a deer if your in a treestand aim for where you want the arrow to come out not for where you want it to go in. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Very good advice.

I shoot wooden arrows with fixed heads from a longbow and use Magnus Snuffers and sometimes Zwicky 2 blades. Both have left serious damage and awesome blood trails.
Don't be afraid of fixed heads. If you tune your bow correctly (longbow or compound) and take good clean shots you should be good to go either way.

I will say this, when it comes to broadheads I feel that you get what you pay for. I've seen cheap broadheads that have broken on ribs from a 65 lb compound.

mcrae is not that far from here. if you ever want to ride over 'tward metter i can work with ya and get you ready to hunt.

Ditto, muzzy is the best, I shot 9 deer with the same broadhead without resharpening, only reason I did not kill 10 with it is that it is still in the spine of the last one.....No comparison for me. Good luck.

I shoot a G5 montec 100 grain. Its sharp to the point and is a solid machined broadhead and does an excelent job. But remember the best broadhead in the world is only good if it's shot in the right place. I have a young friend who recently shot his first deer we were lucky to find it he shot the deer high and back. The amount of blood we found wouldn't have filled a eye dropper. So choose your shot carefully and practice practice.

Back
Top Bottom