• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Slide Fire/ Bump Stock Listing Rules

I have yet to understand why people get upset over what price someone wants to sell something for. It has nothing to do with the person complaining. Move on. This is America and in my opinion if someone wants to sell a bump stock for 1,000 dollars and someone wants to buy it for that much. LET THEM. It won't effect your life in anyway, I promise.

What's going to happen years from now? When the "ignore listers" are looking at retirement? If they didn't prepare to have something they wanted (money), what will they do? Decry those who saved a little or a lot? If you think the sellers are 'gouging' you are sadly mistaken.
I don't even consider people charging $5 per battery or $10 per gallon of water after a hurricane to be 'gougers'. They are supplying a demand, a demand that exists because people couldn't be bothered with preparing for a short term disruption in services. They have the 28"s on the donk, the iPhone 10, the $400 Air Jordans, etc., but couldn't put back a case or two of water and some canned meat? I have no sympathy whatsoever. If you need it, you'll find a way....if you want it, you'll find a way. Waiting until **** happens and lawmaker goobers start squawking about banning something and then getting butthurt because someone else had the foresight to buy inventory and can now supply an artificially high demand caused by government? Sounds a little like communism to me. Maybe the 'ban bill' could include a 'grandfathered item inventory price ceiling clause' where a committee of citizens would determine the 'fair value' a seller could charge for their inventory. We have members of this site that would endorse that as a fine idea. I think it smacks of commies in the woodwork.

Water, medicine, essential foods, yes.
Alcohol, toys, ridiculous gimmick to play with isn’t gouging, it’s supply and demand.
These stocks are not essential and IMO dont help you in a time if need at all. So the gouging argument is quite mute and has no bearing in this case.

You definitely have a point that I would agree with except that, in this instance, it is the principle.

It's a lot like saying one "needs" one type of firearm over another. While I don't have any experience with these slide fire stocks other than watching a guy install them at a gun show once (you buy it and he installed it for free.)

For purposes of feeding yourself via hunting or defending your life if the excrement ever interacts with the electric oscillating device - not to mention the every day occurrences, I failed to see the benefit of a slide fire stock. But, I'm not the guy you rely on to evaluate the fitness of the slide fire stock for any given reason (they do look like a fun way to burn up a lot of ammo for no reason.) So, just want you to know that I don't totally disagree with what you're saying. It was just the principle that is worrisome.

What's going to happen years from now? When the "ignore listers" are looking at retirement? If they didn't prepare to have something they wanted (money), what will they do? Decry those who saved a little or a lot? If you think the sellers are 'gouging' you are sadly mistaken.
I don't even consider people charging $5 per battery or $10 per gallon of water after a hurricane to be 'gougers'. They are supplying a demand, a demand that exists because people couldn't be bothered with preparing for a short term disruption in services. They have the 28"s on the donk, the iPhone 10, the $400 Air Jordans, etc., but couldn't put back a case or two of water and some canned meat? I have no sympathy whatsoever. If you need it, you'll find a way....if you want it, you'll find a way. Waiting until **** happens and lawmaker goobers start squawking about banning something and then getting butthurt because someone else had the foresight to buy inventory and can now supply an artificially high demand caused by government? Sounds a little like communism to me. Maybe the 'ban bill' could include a 'grandfathered item inventory price ceiling clause' where a committee of citizens would determine the 'fair value' a seller could charge for their inventory. We have members of this site that would endorse that as a fine idea. I think it smacks of commies in the woodwork.

I see I struck a nerve with you on that one and I don't mind discussing the issue with you. If you look at this objectively, most people who claim to be for free enterprise actually are not. Humor me for a really good example.

Sometimes events happen in peoples lives where they don't have the money to do what the masses believe others should or should not do. It has nothing to do with savings and so forth. For example, in one three year period I got divorced (it wasn't my choice), lost my mother, lost my sister, had to undergo an operation that lasted ten hours and got me laid off my job and having to draw disability. So, even when it came to basics, I had to learn how to live frugally. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs; don't have cable tv, satellite or the fancy phone. What I do have is a monthly check for $1092 a month.

So last month, my gas bill goes through the roof. A call to my gas provider had me going to the basement to check the water heater. Lo and behold, just as they thought, the pressure relief valve needed replacing. I bought what I needed and called plumbers. They wouldn't give me a price, they just said, we charge $40 to diagnose the problem (which I already told them what I wanted.) So here comes Bubba in his new van and he looks at the valve along with the new one I had already bought and he comes back after forty five minutes in his van with a price of $245. WTH???

I told that guy to get lost. I got on the net looking for someone to do the job at a price I could afford. More than fifteen people wrote to call me all kinds of names for not paying plumbers fees. They said they hoped that I got an illegal who f...ed up my water heater and the house burned down. Dude, I got a lot of hate mail. Finally found a retired Marine who had worked in construction all his life. He and I changed that valve out in less than thirty minutes and he charged $35. That was $5 less than to get a plumber off his duff to look at a valve I already knew was bad. On basic necessities, you'd be surprised how free enterprise people change when you can't pay their inflated prices.

I'm with you in spirit, but believe me: When you are operating in the free market, some people make the most ridiculous arguments for not practicing what they preach: A handyman is not licensed, insured, or has a National ID Card. On an on the pretexts go. And, the truth is, if people are speculating in weapons, parts, etc. then to be really really technical, they are unlicensed dealers... so, if you believe in the free market... you might get background checked, have a National ID Card, license, insurance, bonded, and great references and still not get the job. Some people are willing to take the risk because they have to, not because they want to. So, when you make the free market argument, keep that in mind.

I see I struck a nerve with you on that one and I don't mind discussing the issue with you. If you look at this objectively, most people who claim to be for free enterprise actually are not. Humor me for a really good example.

Sometimes events happen in peoples lives where they don't have the money to do what the masses believe others should or should not do. It has nothing to do with savings and so forth. For example, in one three year period I got divorced (it wasn't my choice), lost my mother, lost my sister, had to undergo an operation that lasted ten hours and got me laid off my job and having to draw disability. So, even when it came to basics, I had to learn how to live frugally. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs; don't have cable tv, satellite or the fancy phone. What I do have is a monthly check for $1092 a month.

So last month, my gas bill goes through the roof. A call to my gas provider had me going to the basement to check the water heater. Lo and behold, just as they thought, the pressure relief valve needed replacing. I bought what I needed and called plumbers. They wouldn't give me a price, they just said, we charge $40 to diagnose the problem (which I already told them what I wanted.) So here comes Bubba in his new van and he looks at the valve along with the new one I had already bought and he comes back after forty five minutes in his van with a price of $245. WTH???

I told that guy to get lost. I got on the net looking for someone to do the job at a price I could afford. More than fifteen people wrote to call me all kinds of names for not paying plumbers fees. They said they hoped that I got an illegal who f...ed up my water heater and the house burned down. Dude, I got a lot of hate mail. Finally found a retired Marine who had worked in construction all his life. He and I changed that valve out in less than thirty minutes and he charged $35. That was $5 less than to get a plumber off his duff to look at a valve I already knew was bad. On basic necessities, you'd be surprised how free enterprise people change when you can't pay their inflated prices.

I'm with you in spirit, but believe me: When you are operating in the free market, some people make the most ridiculous arguments for not practicing what they preach: A handyman is not licensed, insured, or has a National ID Card. On an on the pretexts go. And, the truth is, if people are speculating in weapons, parts, etc. then to be really really technical, they are unlicensed dealers... so, if you believe in the free market... you might get background checked, have a National ID Card, license, insurance, bonded, and great references and still not get the job. Some people are willing to take the risk because they have to, not because they want to. So, when you make the free market argument, keep that in mind.
I have no idea what you are attempting to convey. No nerve was struck by this bumkpin stock episode, couldn't give a shyte about a bumpkin stock. I don't want "people" telling other people what they can and can't do with their inventory, skills, etc. I am an "industry consultant". I charge $325 per hour to work on other people's problems with software or analytics. Who sets my rate? You? The person needing my services? GTFOOH. I provide a ROI. Otherwise, I'd be out of a job.

When a tub started leaking in the upstairs bath I tore the ceiling out of the downstairs bath to see why. I diagnosed the issue, $12 in parts later I had it resolved. Then patched the ceiling. A/C went out in July 2011. I called a service company, the tech came out and had me working again in no time, but $178 lighter in the billfold. Other companies wanted as much as $400 to come out (weekend and all).
I watched the tech work, asked questions, etc. Discovered the part he replaced cost $4.00 shipped from Ching/Chong/China and guess what? I've "repaired" my A/C since then for $4.00 and twenty minutes of my time. I'm a cheap bastard.

I admire the hell out of people that figure out how to do what needs doing and then do it for themselves. I've been without cable, telephone, bankrupt, divorced, in the hospital with a life threatening illness, etc. I don't blame anyone, look to anyone to help me or make anything fair. I keep food, water, water filtration, waste disposal, ammunition, guns, armor, etc., at hand. Why? Because I might need it. I carried supplies to my brother and his girlfriend's family during Hugo. What I saw on that trip made me a believer in prepping.

Everyone should do what they can, but don't try and tell someone else they are 'gouging' when they fill a need.

All this pretty much boils down to "I want what you have but I don't want to pay for it."

It's that simple.

I have no idea what you are attempting to convey. No nerve was struck by this bumkpin stock episode, couldn't give a shyte about a bumpkin stock. I don't want "people" telling other people what they can and can't do with their inventory, skills, etc. I am an "industry consultant". I charge $325 per hour to work on other people's problems with software or analytics. Who sets my rate? You? The person needing my services? GTFOOH. I provide a ROI. Otherwise, I'd be out of a job.

When a tub started leaking in the upstairs bath I tore the ceiling out of the downstairs bath to see why. I diagnosed the issue, $12 in parts later I had it resolved. Then patched the ceiling. A/C went out in July 2011. I called a service company, the tech came out and had me working again in no time, but $178 lighter in the billfold. Other companies wanted as much as $400 to come out (weekend and all).
I watched the tech work, asked questions, etc. Discovered the part he replaced cost $4.00 shipped from Ching/Chong/China and guess what? I've "repaired" my A/C since then for $4.00 and twenty minutes of my time. I'm a cheap bastard.

I admire the hell out of people that figure out how to do what needs doing and then do it for themselves. I've been without cable, telephone, bankrupt, divorced, in the hospital with a life threatening illness, etc. I don't blame anyone, look to anyone to help me or make anything fair. I keep food, water, water filtration, waste disposal, ammunition, guns, armor, etc., at hand. Why? Because I might need it. I carried supplies to my brother and his girlfriend's family during Hugo. What I saw on that trip made me a believer in prepping.

Everyone should do what they can, but don't try and tell someone else they are 'gouging' when they fill a need.

All this pretty much boils down to "I want what you have but I don't want to pay for it."

It's that simple.

You deny that I struck a nerve and then got your boxers in a bunch and went off on a rant.

If you didn't get my analogy, I'm skeptical about you getting $325 an hour. The point was simple:

The same people that call me names for not using their services are usually the same ones claiming to believe in a free market. If I choose to accept the lowest bid on a job, the otherwise "free market" people don't need to be criticizing me because someone isn't a licensed, bonded, background checked, National ID carrying, SSN holding, USDA approved subject of the incorporated version of the United States. That's my point.

Back
Top Bottom