• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New loader with a plated bullets question.

AoD

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
16   0
Reaction score
Like several on here, I'm about to finish up my bench and work area and am getting very close to loading my first rounds. I lucked up on 250 rounds of plated 115 grain Berry's bullets awhile back and also some HP38 powder (to use on some JHP's). Haven't been able to find much more powder out there like everyone else.

I've got several manuals but none give any load data for use of HP38 with the plated bullets. I believe the Lee manual did have some load data on plated rounds and also some data using HP38 for use on cast bullets which I understand shoot very similar to the plated ones.

Just being overly cautious with my first hand loads and seeking any info on the situation from more experienced hand loaders.

From the web site _ FAQ

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

Use lead data, you will probably need to use the mid-to upper data. Plated stuff acts a lot like hard cast and loves a good push. Be very careful with the 115gr, they can be a little cantankerous to get set correctly due to them not having a lot of gripping surface in the case(I am guessing that you are loading 9mm Luger). Just give them a nice easy firm crimp, not too much, and you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom