• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Lee Progressive press coming out in April

Which press?

• Total voters
I emailed an RFI and got the following reply:

"General information regarding the Auto Breech Lock Pro can be found below.
The Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro is a four-station progressive press designed to start loading, FAST. Simply install the shell plate and a set of Lee dies and start reloading.
Press features quick-change Breech Lock Bushings, providing perfect alignment with no vertical play, along with automatic indexing convenience, so the press will automatically advance the shell plate to the next position.
Built-in case inserter allows you to simply drop a case through the frame and case inserter installs into the shell plate.
Through ram spent primer disposal neatly collects all spent primers and crud and carries them safely away from the press through the spent primer tube.
Includes large and small primer arms, allowing you to change primer sizes in seconds, no adjustments or tiny parts to fumble with.
Built-in tool rack with included hex key wrenches and storage spot for primer arm storage.
Ergonomic, wood grip roller handle provides a comfortable reloading session, others charge nearly $50.00 for this comfort feature.
Case feeding, powder measuring, bullet feeding and a quicker primer feed method can become more automated with the addition of Lee accessories.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank You,

Laine
Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075
fax: 262-673-9273 "

the actual bullet placement seems a bit odd in that you have to reach around the left side support ??.. maybe not but it sure looks a bit awkward

the actual bullet placement seems a bit odd in that you have to reach around the left side support ??.. maybe not but it sure looks a bit awkward

I fear that it's just another "iteration" of the Pro-1000 (aka "The Jam-O-Matic"). I know that some spent countless hours making their Pro-1000 work ... This isn't something that I see as a good use of my time.

IMHO: Among the MAJOR problems with progressive loader design is consistent timing: the shell-plate advancement must be dead-on consistent and not jerky. The other is the priming system ... usually the Achilles Heel of most systems.

I don't want to be one of "The Earliest Pioneers with the least hair and most arrows in their back" or "The Earliest Christians who met the hungriest and meanest Lions". So, I will be "hiding in the bushes and waiting" to see just how this one shakes out!

Meanwhile, my Classic Turret with its Auto-Disk Powder Measure and Hornady Bullet Feeder provides a little slower, but quite steady and consistent performance in turning out fodder for my pistols!

I fear that it's just another "iteration" of the Pro-1000 (aka "The Jam-O-Matic"). I know that some spent countless hours making their Pro-1000 work ... This isn't something that I see as a good use of my time.

IMHO: Among the MAJOR problems with progressive loader design is consistent timing: the shell-plate advancement must be dead-on consistent and not jerky. The other is the priming system ... usually the Achilles Heel of most systems.

I don't want to be one of "The Earliest Pioneers with the least hair and most arrows in their back" or "The Earliest Christians who met the hungriest and meanest Lions". So, I will be "hiding in the bushes and waiting" to see just how this one shakes out!

Meanwhile, my Classic Turret with its Auto-Disk Powder Measure and Hornady Bullet Feeder provides a little slower, but quite steady and consistent performance in turning out fodder for my pistols!

Agreed. I started on a classic turret and I still love it. The priming can be finicky on occasion, but has worked quite well for me about 95% of the time. The auto-disk powder measure has been very consistent as well for a couple common handgun powders. I like that I can use the turret press as a single stage for decapping, then sizing and priming, before actually loading. I keep hundreds of primed casings ready to go and it moves fast enough for me.

I fear that it's just another "iteration" of the Pro-1000 (aka "The Jam-O-Matic"). I know that some spent countless hours making their Pro-1000 work ...

What's the basis of that fear? The Pro 1000 was designed more than 25 years ago, by another person. The guy doing the designing right now has put out a couple of very solid presses, one of which you own and agree is a really good press. It's obvious they are using the Classic Cast Turret base, support posts, ratchet and bar, handle linkage, and a variation of the head assembly. The Breech Lock die insert is a proven concept. The Safety Prime mechanism is manual and known to be pretty good, if not perfect. Their thru-die powder feed works great and is very adaptable to different types of loading. The case feed mechanism looks like an adaption of the mechanism from the Pro 1000 and the Loadmaster, and is one of the best features of those presses (works reliably).

I'll go out on a limb and say they've stirred in a lot of the right ingredients. And the chef has a good track record. The fact that they're launching this 2+ months after SHOT means they weren't unduly influenced by a marketing deadline.

If I wasn't moving in the next month or so, I would have already ordered one. As soon as I get my reloading bench back up and running, I'll be getting one.

I just got a great deal on the classic turret with a ton of extras but I think I'll be buying this one regardless. The price point is so reasonable that I don't mind being a guinea pig

Well, that's an offer that sounds really good: We would all appreciate your evaluation and feedback!
Perhaps starting a new thread entitled as such?

Good Luck With Your Experience With a New System!

I should add: Advice here on ODT is about the only thing that is "Cheap"!

Back
Top Bottom