• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need some redneck engineering advice

Great idea, but I bet that Bike is more than 400 lbs,
From HF website,

"This motorcycle carrier rack with ramp is built from rugged aluminum to accommodate up to 400 lb.. The platform easily adjusts to any bike size. Features include a drop-down tire design with a clamp-on device for the front wheel for additional security.
  • 400 lb. capacity aluminum construction"

The trailer has enough load capacity. Probably rated for 750lbs.

Double check the load rating on the tires, make sure they are rated for the load as well. You have to go slower with the smaller wheels. 55 to 60. As long as they are in good shape and have the proper rating, not a problem. Good idea to have a spare.

I'd u-bolt in a piece of 2x10 between the bunks, and thru-bolt attach a wheel chock fixture to the board to hold the motorcycle upright.

And, of course, good set of ratchet straps to hold it in place.

Don't forget to check the trailer registration is current, and the lights work.

Meant to add: I don't think you want to use the front post. That would put the weight too far forward; too much tongue weight for too little trailer load. Trailer will want to fishtail like crazy. You want the load centered over the trailer wheels.

Set the front tire on either the front crossmember, or better, a piece of 2x6 across the frame in front of the cross member, and set that fancy rear tire stand on the carpeted slides (move em in closer to fit it) and ratchet strap that puppy down so good it'd stay on if it rolled sideways down a hill. Good to go, Positioning, try to situate it so most of the weight is where the jet ski's weight would have been)

Not sure those carpeted beams are strong enough but I guess I could reinforce them if I had to. Do you think it's better to have the bike up on the rear stand when I strap it down or have the tires directly down on whatever center section I build for it?

For now, just rent a u-haul. Shop around and find a trailer with 14-15 inch rims, ramp, wood floor, etc. A condor chock is among the best for holding the bike upright while you tie the bike down. If you do not know already, the suspension should be slightly compressed about half way so as you hit bumps in the road, the bikes suspension will take the shock.

Rent a trailer big enough to put both on

If I have to I will but I'd rather figure out a way to convert this trailer to haul it back and forth to the racetrack. It's already titled and tagged in my name which is a huge PITA to do with a trailer in Georgia

Back
Top Bottom