Need some more help working on my 1911

AirOpsMgr

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
66   0
Reaction score
Okay, so here is the deal gentlemen,
As you might recall, I posted reference mods to a RIA 1911(http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/216393-Need-some-advice-new-1911-owner-getting-bit).
...... yeah, I know I could have bought a better 1911, yadda, yadda, but, this is my "try my hand at 1911's and not care if I jack it up" base model so I can learn .... so cut me some friggin slack!!!!! ;)

I went ahead and ordered numerous parts just to toy around with this entry level 1911 so I could learn the inner-workings and get my feet wet. For the most part, I had some good results; The EGW carry bevel bushing and EGW solid spring plug worked great (much tighter than factory), along with some pearl grips that fit well, but, now on to the problems......

The Wilson Combat trigger/hammer/sear/beaver-tail safety are quickly becoming my nemisis.... however, this could just be me .... a noob not intalling correctly.

I had no issue removing the original grip safety, trigger, hammer and beaver-tail, but, upon reinstallation, i can not, for the life of me, get the thumb safety to engage correctly.

I've probablly watched 20 different you-tube videos just to make sure I'm getting it right, but I always end up with the safety stuck in the "up" position, meaning, it will not engage with the plunger .... all other functons (half and full cock) work correctly.

So, please advise if I am overly retarded and missed some simple part of the 1911 reinstallation, or, if I just need to have these parts better "fitted" for the application (if so, which is causing my issue?).

Trust me, I will not be offended if you tell me I'm a retard .... I've been at this for over 3 hours now and could care less what I'm labeled as long as I can be given some direction here!!! :)

Thnx much & best regards

Last edited:
The new ones are more than likely "Gunsmith" fit. That means that are purposely made larger so they can be hand fitted to the gun. The problem with the cheap guns is that the holes are often out of spec, thus making it even harder to get parts fitted.

Edit: is it the beaver tail or the thumb safety?

Last edited:
The new ones are more than likely "Gunsmith" fit. That means that are purposely made larger so they can be hand fitted to the gun. The problem with the cheap guns is that the holes are often out of spec, thus making it even harder to get parts fitted.

Edit: is it the beaver tail or the thumb safety?

Sorry, I should have been more clear....my fault as I'm about ready to throw this 1911 through the window and run over it with my truck ...... okay, I'm calm now....... i think.....

The grip safety is a WC drop in extended beavertail; the issue I'm having is that I can not get the stock thumb safety to engage with the plunger after everything is put together (it remains above the plunger level in the "safe/on" position.

All of these WC parts appear to fit correctly and engage, with the exception of the thumb safety.......

thx for your help, much appreciated!

bro just calm down and cool off and try again....its a little tricky but you will get it...and as for the RIA its a great gun made from colt tooling...I have a citadel 1911 thats made by RIA and my dad has a springfield and a colt combat elite and we have shot all 3 together...he and I both feel the Citadel shoots as good and dead on as the other 2....so dont hate on your RIA...LOVE it and enjoy it! it will serv u well

bro just calm down and cool off and try again....its a little tricky but you will get it...and as for the RIA its a great gun made from colt tooling...I have a citadel 1911 thats made by RIA and my dad has a springfield and a colt combat elite and we have shot all 3 together...he and I both feel the Citadel shoots as good and dead on as the other 2....so dont hate on your RIA...LOVE it and enjoy it! it will serv u well

LOL. not trying to "hate", just at a state of deplurable distaste with this plaform that I'm trying to learn...... :D

So far, the RIA shoots well and most parts fit equally well ......even after I beat the hell hout of them ...... don't get me started on how long it took me to get the hammer strut out!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom