• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help sighting my 308 in.

Steve6007

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
1   0
Reaction score
shot paper last weekend at 25 yards and it is dead center of bullseye. shooting federal fusion 165 grainers. just wondering where i would be on the target at 100 and 200 yards. this is the first year hunting with a 308 ive hunted with the flat shooting 270 since i was 12. and input would help. thanks!

Ok Georgiaboy I'm going to try to tell you this nicely. You're not even close to being ready to hunt. Please go sight in your rifle at 100 yards. You owe it to the animal you're about to wound or miss unless its standing at 25 yards.
I'm guessing you're shooting a bolt action rifle with a scope? There is no ballistics table or mathematical formula or chart that's gonna tell you where that thing is hitting that doesn't take into account the distance between the center axis of the rifle bore and the center axis of the scope and the angles between them in relation to each other. You're just throwing away money shooting it at 25 yards unless you consider it bore sighted only. (on the paper)

My slightly educated and experienced WAG is if you sighted a bolt action scoped rifle at 25 yards you're gonna be way way way high at 100 and maybe even higher at 200 I'm sure the windage is also gonna need some tweaking as well.
Just do it right and sight the thing in at 100 so you'll know where you're bullets are going.
you're gonna have to do it anyway.
Good luck bhj

Last edited:
the basic run I use for mine with 150gr fed SP's

sighted in dead on at 200yard will put it 1" high at 100 and 6" low at 300.

Ok Georgiaboy I'm going to try to tell you this nicely. You're not even close to being ready to hunt. Please go sight in your rifle at 100 yards. You owe it to the animal you're about to wound or missunless its standing at 25 yards.
I'm guessing you're shooting a bolt action rifle with a scope? There is no ballistics table or mathematical formula or chart that's gonna tell you where that thing is hitting that doesn't take into account the distance between the center axis of the rifle bore and the center axis of the scope and the angles between them in relation to each other. You're just throwing away money shooting it at 25 yards unless you consider it bore sighted only. (on the paper)

My slightly educated and experienced WAG is if you sighted a bolt action scoped rifle at 25 yards you're gonna be way way way high at 100 and maybe even higher at 200 I'm sure the windage is also gonna need some tweaking as well.
Just do it right and sight the thing in at 100 so you'll know where you're bullets are going.
you're gonna have to do it anyway.
Good luck bhj
hmmmm been working for 15 years and never had to track one for more than 25 yards. i must be doing something right. it will hit a beer bottle at 100 yards. i was wondering how high or how low at 100 and 200 yards. thanks

I'm kinda grumpy this morning, but if you're sighted in dead on center bull at 25 I'd bet you a box of ammo you ain't gonna hit a bottle at 100 without a lot of luck and a flinch in your favor. This is why. First draw 2 parallel lines on a sheet of paper the top line is the axis of your scope and the bottom one equals the axis of your bore.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Next use a straight edge to draw 2 straight lines the same distance apart but at an angle so they cross each other 1/4 way across the page. these represent the axis of your bore and the axis of your scope What do you see? The distance between them gets further and further apart as you go across the page. The same thing happens with a rifle at 25 and 100 yards. Since gravity acts on the bullet it will eventually fall back across the line of your scope but not at most practical hunting distances.
I don't know how many times I've been to the range and had someone shooting way high ask for help with their scope saying "but it was dead on at 25 yards". This is especially pronounced with ARs and also in scopes with large objective bells since the distance between the scope axis and the bore axis is so great. (height of the rings and bases)

I'm just trying to be helpful but if you insist that a 25 yard sight in is sufficient to be zeroed at 100 then carry on and good luck to you.
bhj

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom