• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need info on this round, please?

vernon.45

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
33   0
Reaction score
I want to reload for my steyr M.95 carbine in 8x56R caliber. But I'm having a heck of a time finding any reload data on this cartridge. Does anyone here reload this round and if so could you suggest a loading or three? I plan on using cast bullets( once i can get my hands on the mold that lee makes for this caliber) but also ii would like to try sizing down hornady 200 grain .338 caliber bullets to use for hunting also. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks.

in cartridges of the world (pg 363 11th edition) they list the following loads:

198SP, IMR 3031, 46 grains, 2310 velocity, 2358 energy and a note of .323" bullet. Not OAL or anything else
206 ball, IMR 3031, 45 grains, 2300 velocity, 2420 energy, and a note of "military load".

might get you in the ball park. it does say in the text that .329" diameter bullets are standard, but you can use .323" but accuracy is poor.

Thanks Speedy, very much appreciated. This is really helping.me out. Really looking forward to seeing what i can get out of this old war horse with some good cast bullets.

jwhited, your avatar pic scared the crap out of me!

Last edited:
Thanks Speedy, very much appreciated. This is really helping.me out. Really looking forward to seeing what i can get out of this old war horse with some good cast bullets.

jwhited, your avatar pic scared the crap out of me!

We just got a couple in at the shop... You are so tempting me to get one.

We just got a couple in at the shop... You are so tempting me to get one.

You really should if at all possible, these things are just plain neat lil guns! Only advice i insist that you follow though is check the bore and be sure its not pitted if you want to load up some cast bullets for it. Lee makes a mold specifically for this round. But if you just plan on shooting jacketed bullets then a dark bore usually won't hurt. Your shop wouldent happen to have any of the clips for em would you? I've found em online for $10 a piece before shipping but I'm hoping someone on here has a few to sell before i cave in and order them. Id rather give my money to a fellow ODT'er anyway if possible.

I will check with Dave if we have any. Honestly... I stay in my cave like a good ogre and don't keep up with the retail shop stock levels.

I will check with Dave if we have any. Honestly... I stay in my cave like a good ogre and don't keep up with the retail shop stock levels.

Thank you sir! I appreciate it, also if its not much trouble, what are your prices on the ones yall have. My brother is a bit sweet on these as well. I'm thinking i might get him one for his birthday next month if i can find another good one.

Thank you sir! I appreciate it, also if its not much trouble, what are your prices on the ones yall have. My brother is a bit sweet on these as well. I'm thinking i might get him one for his birthday next month if i can find another good one.

Give the retail shop a call around 10ish 470-315-4352,

Back
Top Bottom