• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need help with my AR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is the steel case ammo. Steel expands as the gun gets hot, and since is is a mil-spec item, there is not room for expansion. Gun has to cool down a while, and bolt will eventually release. DO NOT USE STEEL AMMO. It's not worth the difference in price.

Wood dowel rod down the barrel

Unless I read wrong JL, you may have an unfired round in the chamber..if so..DO NOT put a dowel down the muzzle and hammer it..you may the round back into the firing pin with enough force to cause a discharge...VERY VERY UNSAFE

Problem is the steel case ammo. Steel expands as the gun gets hot, and since is is a mil-spec item, there is not room for expansion. Gun has to cool down a while, and bolt will eventually release. DO NOT USE STEEL AMMO. It's not worth the difference in price.

Sad thing is...thats all a lot of people can find right now. I had to buy a few boxes just so my boy could shoot his Christmas present this coming Saturday...bringing my brass rod with me just in case.

Butt slam it! If it fires, a rod is going to make it ugly. Hopefully, the case head will separate before the extractor gives way.

I had this happen some years back when we were far from home at the range. The way I did mine may not be the proper way but this is how we cleared the rifle.

While holding the rifle firmly with my other hand releasing the charging handle, my buddy place a good billy club on the other side of the charging handle and gave it a good whak. The carrier moved back enough to clear the round.

Nothing broke but that doen't mean that it couldn't have broken the charging handle.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! O GOD, I am never letting you people near my AR. Anyway, I fixed the problem this evening for member. Rifle is in good shape, just needs good cleaning. Brass and steel casing both expand, I have seen them both cause the problems, it is more common with steel. And Tula ammo is pretty God awful, but most of the time it works. If anyone else needs a hand with an AR, let me know and I will try to help. I need to make use of all the tax payer dollars spent on me at armorer school. I even do house calls if your not to far.

Well done. I was expecting to see him make the news.

Man with assalt rifle blows out barrel and kills himself, film at 11:00

oneill:1573869 said:
Locked in place, as in you were firing it and it LOCKED UP??

Or, you took it out of the storage case to go shoot at the range and it was locked up?

I was firing it and it just locked up. I had a jam (tulammo), cleared it, went to shoot another round and the trigger went click and from then on I haven't been able to pull the charging handle back. Even when I separate the upper and lower I can't get it out.[/Quote

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom