• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need help with a Yugo m76

staggerwing42

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
9   0
Reaction score
Is anyone around Woodstock or surrounding area familiar with repairing these?

Ive got a Yugo m76 sniper that I ordered years ago and when it showed up found out it was a dreaded Century Arms built. It was on a Patterson Machine receiver if I remember, and the barrel was canted bad, the optics were trashed, and other issues. So I sent it in to Century for repairs or a swap. They sent me a replacement. This one looked beautiful. perfect optics and mount. Only thing I noticed was that this one has a buffer installed, which makes it a pain to field strip the bolt cause its too thick to pull the bolt without removing and threaded to the stock screw. Anywho, my job got really busy, Working too many hours to go proof fire this thing. Finally after many months I went to shoot it and could not get it on paper. Took the scope off and tried the irons.
At 100 yds this thing shoots abt 25ft to the left with Yugo 8mm M75 sniper ammo. I was pissed. Called Century and they said that my Warranty had expired. Called my friend that had the FFL I ordered this through. He got onto Century. No avail, Got another friend that did warranty repairs sometimes for Century to look at it and contact them. Still no dice. Only thing I can figure is the barrel is bent, the feed ramp is incorrect or the headspacing is wrong or bad geometry with the receiver itself. I got frustrated and just put it at the back of the safe and forgot about it. I want to get this thing figured out so I can play with it or so I can sell it. Thanks.

Is anyone around Woodstock or surrounding area familiar with repairing these?

Ive got a Yugo m76 sniper that I ordered years ago and when it showed up found out it was a dreaded Century Arms built. It was on a Patterson Machine receiver if I remember, and the barrel was canted bad, the optics were trashed, and other issues. So I sent it in to Century for repairs or a swap. They sent me a replacement. This one looked beautiful. perfect optics and mount. Only thing I noticed was that this one has a buffer installed, which makes it a pain to field strip the bolt cause its too thick to pull the bolt without removing and threaded to the stock screw. Anywho, my job got really busy, Working too many hours to go proof fire this thing. Finally after many months I went to shoot it and could not get it on paper. Took the scope off and tried the irons.
At 100 yds this thing shoots abt 25ft to the left with Yugo 8mm M75 sniper ammo. I was pissed. Called Century and they said that my Warranty had expired. Called my friend that had the FFL I ordered this through. He got onto Century. No avail, Got another friend that did warranty repairs sometimes for Century to look at it and contact them. Still no dice. Only thing I can figure is the barrel is bent, the feed ramp is incorrect or the headspacing is wrong or bad geometry with the receiver itself. I got frustrated and just put it at the back of the safe and forgot about it. I want to get this thing figured out so I can play with it or so I can sell it. Thanks.
Well im not an ak expert/smith but it sounds one of a few fairly common ak issues is present due to poor assembly QC.

1. The FSB or RSB or both could be canted/out of alignment. (Which could be as simple as drifing the front sight as designed to achieve zero or in your case as far off as you say it is you may have to have the FSB taken off and realigned)

2. The bore of your barrel may not be concentric to the barrels OD...... That essentially means you need a new barrel.

There could be others but again I am not an expert.

An m76 specific issue that you might have is that your reciever is out of spec. Honestly thats what my gut says it is.

In that case their is not much you can do except sell it or put a scope on it.

If i were going to send this off to a gunsmith i would be sure to send it to someone who knows alot about ak type weapons

Good luck on resolving the problem

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Well im not an ak expert/smith but it sounds one of a few fairly common ak issues is present due to poor assembly QC.

1. The FSB or RSB or both could be canted/out of alignment. (Which could be as simple as drifing the front sight as designed to achieve zero or in your case as far off as you say it is you may have to have the FSB taken off and realigned)

2. The bore of your barrel may not be concentric to the barrels OD...... That essentially means you need a new barrel.

There could be others but again I am not an expert.

An m76 specific issue that you might have is that your reciever is out of spec. Honestly thats what my gut says it is.

In that case their is not much you can do except sell it or put a scope on it.

If i were going to send this off to a gunsmith i would be sure to send it to someone who knows alot about ak type weapons

Good luck on resolving the problem

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

With to scope cranked over all the way to the left it still would not hit paper.
Yea, the receiver is kinda what Im afraid to of but dont want to stress myself out. I know they had a batch that was like you say out of spec but Century has a hard time assembling good parts.lol.
I could send it out but would rather have someone local if possible.
Thanks for the reply!!

1FEEC923-4E14-4A0F-A1F0-6A5059562F5C.jpeg

Send it to Assault Weapons of Ohio

Totally agree about AWO. Mark built my m76 for me a couple years ago and its near perfect in every way. They also do rebuilds and they manufacture their own receivers. I can't think of anyone better here in the US

View attachment 1372322

Ok. AWO it is. I knew they built them but didnt know they fixed Century botches.
Thanks guys! I will give them a call tomorrow.
:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom