• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need Help With A Remington 522 Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

gprecise

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
41   0
Reaction score
Ok, guys before all you haters start bashing my post, I already now this rifle is a POS, but it was a freebie and its in great shape, so I`m just tinkering around with it to see if I can get it to function at least once in awhile. I am by no means a gunsmith, but I have repaired a lot of my own guns over the past several decades, but I`m lost on this one. Here is the problem with this rifle, the extractor pulls the fired brass from the chamber, but the ejector fails to eject the spent round thus causing a jam as the bolt tries to feed the next round.
The ejector even fails when fired as a single shot. I guess I have just dumbed up on this one, I don`t know what the ejector looks like or where its located. I can`t find any pics or drawings online. Does anyone have a pic or drawing of this or had the same problem with one of these and was able to repair it. And no its not worth enough to take it to a gunsmith for repairs, would cost way more than its worth. And yes I know parts are very hard to find for this rifle and of course Remington is of no use either. Anybody besides the haters have any advise on this. Sorry, haters, not trying to be rude, I just know that a whole lot of folks hate these and rate them as the worst .22 rifle ever made. See, I know all that and just don`t want to hear it from dozens of folks, lol.

Numrich.com for some/most parts.
Some municipal “gun buy back” program may even give you between $50 and $100 for it. Why, I don't know.
Sell it for parts to some----ah, body else?
Remington.com or the internet for a schematic drawing.
JMO but Remington ******up when they let the Nylon 66 die. That exec. decision maker should have been hung.
Good Luck w/yours.

Hmm....Searched around looks like you have to buy a New one, the weapon is constantly changing.

try this http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Think you might have searched the wrong model number. Can`t buy a new one and they never changed. Remington only made these guns back in the 90`s, stopped production in about 1997. Thanks anyways

Numrich.com for some/most parts.
Some municipal “gun buy back” program may even give you between $50 and $100 for it. Why, I don't know.
Sell it for parts to some----ah, body else?
Remington.com or the internet for a schematic drawing.
JMO but Remington ******up when they let the Nylon 66 die. That exec. decision maker should have been hung.
Good Luck w/yours.

Numrich.com has a few parts and might have an ejector, but I would like to know where its located in the gun and what it looks like. And Remington is of no help on this other than an owners manual and that doesn`t help either. Just thought that someone on here might have one and could tell me what I need to know, Thanks

Take you a trip over to Rimfire Central.
You will probaly find the answer you need.

Tom

Yeah, been to Rimfire Central and there is so many haters of this gun, about all you can get is flamed about it being a POS and how to toss it into a dumpster. I know these were lemons as far .22`s go, but a few were decent shooters. Mine is in excellent condition, almost like new, with a round count of less than 100. I like to tinker with older guns and get them up and running again, so, I`ll keep at it. Thanks.

Last edited:
first, have you tried CCI or hi-vel ammo? That has been the main eject issue on a lot of 22's.......Then...v

1. Remove Magazine - Draw Bolt back - Push in bolt handle to lock open - Set Safety on.
2. Use 1/8 in. Allen to remove front action screw.
3. Use 1/8 in Allen to remove screw rear of trigger gaurd. Remove action from stock.
4. Pull bolt handle out and ease bolt forward. Move Safety Off. Insert Magazine and pull trigger to drop striker forward. Remove Magazine. Push barrel and receiver to REAR. Tip trigger group assembly DOWN AT FRONT. Ease assy off toward rear. Control recoil spring and striker spring!
5. Remove RED striker spring and WHITE guide towards RIGHT.
6. Remove recoil spring and BLACK guide towards LEFT.
7. Move bolt to rear and take out striker assy. Striker/Firing pin assy retained in RED polymer headpiece by roll pin. Except for repair, do not disassemble.
8. Remove Bolt Handle (allign with exit space in track) and pull handle out to right.
9.Remove bolt to rear. Striker rebound and spring retained by roll pin. STRONG SPRING. Except for repair, do not disassemble.
10.Remove extractor by depressing plunger. It lifts out. CONTROL plunger and spring (or you will be on hands and knees looking for them).
11. Do not remove twin SEARS except for repair. If removed, note positions for reassembly.
12. Sear pin is heat-sealed on left side of receiver (melted in). Must be heated with soldering iron to remove. Just don't unless repair is necessary!
13. Bolt hold open and spring can be removed by pushing out pin toward left (just enough to clear parts).
14. IF removal of safety is necessary, push pin out from inside trigger housing. CAUTION: detent spring and plunger will FLY UPWARDS if not contolled (again on your hands and knees. Do you feel really lucky?) After spring/plunger removed, safety can be pushed out.
14. Remove trigger by pushing out pin. This will also release trigger spring. Honestly, don't remove unless necessary. Trigger must be turned to remove.
15. Sear springs are melted into trigger housing. Don't remove.
16. Ejector and Mag catch are held in with small screw. Again parts are melted into trigger housing and NOT ROUTINELY REMOVED.
REASSEMBLY:
Reverse of above.
Tip 1. RED colored striker spring goes on RIGHT. BLACK colored recoil SPRING GUIDE goes on LEFT.
Tip 2. With springs (properly) engaged, move lower trigger assy forward and upward until latch at (lower) front engages. Note: assy guide on left side of receiver will help in proper position.
Tip 3. Before putting action back into stock, lock BOLT OPEN and SAFETY in ON position.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_disassemble_a_Remington_Model_522_Viper#ixzz1OGbcGCcv

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom