*** Need Help: Anyone have a hardtop Jeep YJ ? ***

Post #10http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/how-does-your-hard-top-mount-your-jeep-884315/

You, Sir, are a master of the internet search world. A wizard, in fact. But his hard top doesn't have all the holes there in the front so now I'm wondering if there are different versions of hardtops for these jeeps. The side windows on the hard top look to be right for this model but now I'm questioning if it's the right hard top or not...

Real jeeps only have two doors, just sayin'. :)

Ok but the question is, why would Jeep make something that WASN'T a real jeep?? Hmmm....

Btw I'm actually more of a fan of the 4-door unlimited wrangler's myself but I get why some of you are stuck on the old style. My dad's had jeeps all the way back to 1942 so I've kind of grown up with the traditional style.

cj's up to 1986
yj's 1987-1995
tj's 1997-2004
jk's 2005 & up
1996 would be a weird year could be a late 1995 yj or very early 1997 tj.

Well the jeep is a 1995 YJ; we know that. The problem is the hard top doesn't have anything to track the year it was intended for and are forced to trust the guy we bought it from that it is made for a YJ body. But the YJ's have a very unique side window on their hard tops and that "looks" right on this one, it's just that the hardware is different.

I found one thread that shows where someone fabricated an aluminum strip and used draw fasteners...we may have to go that route.

Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 4.39.25 PM.png

I see in the rear the holes to bolt it down, but are you saying you attached the front with mini c clamps around the windshield?

it might sound really redneck, but I just use 4 small c clamps, two right behind the doors and two on the back corner. it doesn't budge at all.

I have a 77 CJ7 and the tops are interchangeable with most YJ's. My top is secured by four bolts and rectangular nuts on each side. In absence of the rectangular nut you can substitute them and use butterfly nuts. As far how the hard top mounts to the windshield on CJ's there was a metal strip that that ran full length from side to side and screwed onto the windshield frame. A lot of people took these off and opted for the quick release type of attachments as shown in the earlier pics. The main reason for this was due to tops cracking when the Jeep body was tweeked while off roading. I Hope this helps. If you are still in need of pics send me a pm and I will text you some pics.

I have a 77 CJ7 and the tops are interchangeable with most YJ's. My top is secured by four bolts and rectangular nuts on each side. In absence of the rectangular nut you can substitute them and use butterfly nuts. As far how the hard top mounts to the windshield on CJ's there was a metal strip that that ran full length from side to side and screwed onto the windshield frame. A lot of people took these off and opted for the quick release type of attachments as shown in the earlier pics. The main reason for this was due to tops cracking when the Jeep body was tweeked while off roading. I Hope this helps. If you are still in need of pics send me a pm and I will text you some pics.

Thanks. Another member was able to help me figure out that the hard top we have is probably for a TJ instead of a YJ. We may try a dry fit and see how much fabrication it would take for it to work; once it's on it's not coming back off so it may still work. I do have an ad up that I'm looking for a YJ hard top if anyone has or sees one for sale. And I will be selling / trading the TJ Maxx top and possibly the full metal doors (once we figure out if they are actually or a YJ or a TJ as well).

I appreciate all the help from you guys.

Back
Top Bottom