• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice on transmission swap 1987 Chevy truck

I'm
I’d try the NV 4500
Or whatever is most common in the 3/4 and one tons that are slightly newer .

how much do you pull tow or haul with it ?

if the answer is nothing , then the NV 3500 five speed from a half ton would work.
That’s what we have in our 76 K10 , it came from a 2007 Silverado .
Bolts right in.

the cheapest way to slow down the rpm on the highway is just install taller tires
I'm gonna go with the 4500

AFR 227 Eliminators
I have heard good things about those heads. I usually run Brodix when I can afford to. This engine was built for a daily driver in S10 so I didn't go all out with it. I like to build 400 sbc if I am going to put a lot of money in it. This one in my c30 is 30 over, dome pistons, comp cam ported get-by heads, ported intake with center divider cut halfway down, Edelbrock 650 manual. It is pretty strong to be no more than what it is.

Not all of them. My 89 cab/chassis c3500 came with a 454 and same sm456 4 speed. Hope to never need another bellhousing for it as when I had to replace the last one it was worse than an act of congress.
Yep
The one tons and Suburban’s and K5 blazers stayed with the old body style for several more years . Till 1992 I think .

I hunted down the brackets and rods between the motor mounts and the bellhousing before I sold the one I had.
I noticed the empty bolt holes and had to figure out what was missing.

I have heard good things about those heads. I usually run Brodix when I can afford to. This engine was built for a daily driver in S10 so I didn't go all out with it. I like to build 400 sbc if I am going to put a lot of money in it. This one in my c30 is 30 over, dome pistons, comp cam ported get-by heads, ported intake with center divider cut halfway down, Edelbrock 650 manual. It is pretty strong to be no more than what it is.

What are the casting numbers on the heads? You said some piston so I would think they are big chamber

Back
Top Bottom