• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a Turkey Sensei!

So far, you’ve blown my doors off in this rat race!
Your time is coming man. Like I was telling you earlier though this is the first year I’ve actually been really serious about turkey hunting. But my private property is pretty dang tough. I was very surprised to kill that gobbler this early in the season.

In for the rest of the story when its complete.

Nice flock of birds
Went Solo today and had a great time. Called in 3 hens who almost literally walked on top of me. After they got about 50 yds away I talked to them again and managed to record a few seconds of a 3-4 minute chat. One hen just kept looking for me. Had a blast, no gobbling or bearded birds today. Are turkeys mating yet or just getting warmed up to? Thanks for the advice and responses from ODT. Got a couple of gents going to go with me in next couple of weeks. Will update any success or failures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KktNjayyQHTVXAWu9

Went Solo today and had a great time. Called in 3 hens who almost literally walked on top of me. After they got about 50 yds away I talked to them again and managed to record a few seconds of a 3-4 minute chat. One hen just kept looking for me. Had a blast, no gobbling or bearded birds today. Are turkeys mating yet or just getting warmed up to? Thanks for the advice and responses from ODT. Got a couple of gents going to go with me in next couple of weeks. Will update any success or failures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KktNjayyQHTVXAWu9
Sounds like they were very talkative this morning.

Went yesterday evening. Had some birds just over a little rise at the base of my mountain. Heard them scratching and a few clucks. Couldn't tease them my way.....may have overcalled BUT I did have a gobbler gobble several times from the top of the hill. Sounded like he was about 100 yds away. He would not come to me. I assume he may have had a hen or two up there. What a great hunt! Good luck guys this weekend.

Lots of videos on calling.

For me, less is more. They are curious animals and have all day to check something out, or not

BINGO, you are correct many turkey seekers call entirely way to much and too long, after they fly down, maybe a sequence of up to 30 seconds. They know your approximate area location, they will call back to you, do not immediately call again unless they are going away from your call and then you can call again for up to a 30 second sequence, however if they are traveling to you play the part of a female playing hard to get, and when they get about 75 - 80 yards away and give very soft purrr, because they have already got your GPS and know exactly where you are. Just get your gun on your knee and wait for the performance to begin and unfold right in front of you... just a simple suggestion to strongly consider...

Went yesterday evening. Had some birds just over a little rise at the base of my mountain. Heard them scratching and a few clucks. Couldn't tease them my way.....may have overcalled BUT I did have a gobbler gobble several times from the top of the hill. Sounded like he was about 100 yds away. He would not come to me. I assume he may have had a hen or two up there. What a great hunt! Good luck guys this weekend.
If you can do it walk straight away clucking and after about 50 yards sit and be ready the walking away sometimes will get him crazy.it really works with a partner.

Haven't been back. Been fishing lately. Now I have herniated a disc. Hope to get back up there before season is out.

Back
Top Bottom