• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need a little help with a used Jeep Cherokee

19   0
Reaction score
I bought a used Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 1994 model with the 4.0 in line 6 cylinder engine. My question is: do these things have to run in four wheel drive all the time? It has the selector for 4 Hi and 4 Lo with a Neutral in between, but when I shift it to this Neutral, the whole vehicle seems to be in Neutral, no matter what the other shifter position is in.

Do you have a pic of the selector? Mine has 4h,4l,N and 2. I keep mine in 2 unless i'm off roading.

This.

You should only run 2HI most of the time. I use 4HI on really loose gravel, sand, etc. BELOW 50ish MPH ONLY!!!!

Agreed. Some jeeps came with what is called "full time 4wd" basically its all wheel drive.Thats why I want to see the gear box selector.

Yours may be the Quadratrac that is only 4 Hi and 4 Lo.... If there is no 2Hi selector then that is most likely what you have.

I have no 2 Hi. Just the 4 Hi and 4 Lo and Neutral in between.. I just want to make sure before I drive it too much that I'm not destroying the transmission or transfer case. In this case, which should I run in for normal road driving without bad weather conditions? I should also add that there is an Overdrive release button on the dash for towing situations.

I guess I am a little confused as to the meaning of the Hi and Lo. Does it refer to torque or to gearing ratio?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a full time case. They have a differential inside the case that allows you to run in four wheel drive all the time without doing damage. There is a viscous coupler that is there to provide near lockup when there is a difference in speed between the front and rear driveshafts. Basically, if the rear (or front) starts spinning the viscous coupler will heat up and provide a near 50/50 power distribution front to rear.

The problem with this setup is that the Viscous Coupler is a considered a wear item. After between 100k and 150k miles the coupler wears out. The failure mode on these is to provide constant lockup which is like driving around in 4hi on a "normal" transfer case. This can damage other parts of the driveline and make driving it a bit of an experience. The first symptom is the front tires scrubbing at low speeds when turning a corner. If you're in a parking lot and turn the wheels you'll hear the front tires chirp and the Jeep will buck and jerk. Curves at speed can be a bit unnerving as the front and rear axles can no longer turn at different speeds.

Yes, I have a 1996 Jeep with the same setup and replaced the viscous coupler. It's a PITA but can be done by someone halfway mechanical in a day.

Your is all time 4 wheel drive meaning all wheel drive shifting to neutral puts whole trandy and drive units in neutral design was made for ease of towing behind a rv also limited slip if two wheels on one side is stuck other two possible pull out without 4wheel high. Same design as roadsmith trike kits similar to Saturn vue awd

Back
Top Bottom