• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My Snider Enfield .577 Warning, Picture Heavy!

I charged the case with 70 Gr of Pyrodex RS, and made an attempt to settle the charge by tapping it repeatadly on a hard object,
P9010077.JPG

P9010078.JPG

I then placed the wads in the case and sent them home with the pipe, compressing the load.
P9010080.JPG

I used a smaller brass case to slightly bell the case mouth by putting it in the case and running it around at an angle (not pictured as it was too blurry).
I greased the bullet (in this case a solid based R.E.A.L bullet)
P9010081.JPG

P9010082.JPG

then with some pressure (and/or light taps with a non marring hammer) the bullet went home
P9010085.JPG

Compared to a Minie ball round I made a while ago (note the dimples where I was trying different ways of keeping the bullet seated, this one was done with a punch).
P9010087.JPG

How have I missed this thread for so long. This is cool!

So was the gun originally percussion cap converted to a cartridge gun?

You may have already thought of this, Try using a round wooden dowel when seating the primers and packing the wads in. This is how I once reloaded old shot gun shells. Wood should be less damaging to the cases. I imagine you paid a shiny penny for them too.

Not a bad Idea especially for the packing. Unfortunately Id have to carve the dowel into a pipe shape in it to do the primers though, as these cases are a balloon head type with the primer pocket protruding into the case like a little hill in the center. I may try to make some kind of contraption so it's less harsh on the cases (the pipe is just what I had laying around). Appreciate the advise

Back
Top Bottom