• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My Snider Enfield .577 Warning, Picture Heavy!

TrentA

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
39   0
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I just finished another trip to Atlanta Cutlery's Antique Militaria warehouse (that place is addicting). A few weeks ago I got an antique Kukri (http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/my-first-kukri.855842/) and had a lot of fun restoring it, but it didn't really satisfy as it only took about a day or so, and it does not go boom.

I went back yesterday and picked out a Snider Enfield rifle (.577 snider). I was debating between that or a Brunswick musket and put the Brunswick on the back burner for now. I am now in the process of restoring the old girl and wanted to share pictures as it comes along.

First a couple of pics from the warehouse. All of these weapons were bought from a huge cache found in Nepal by International Military Antiques and Atlanta Cutlery.

First is one of the stacks of Sniders (some 2 band rifled Brunswicks behind) (I believe the one I ended up with the the one turned upside down on the stack

I found a very small stack of (for the most part incomplete) sharps rifles, these are not listed on the website and I almost pooped myself when I found them.

This is a Bria gun, a crank "machine gun" chambered in 577/450.

Cannon :becky:

pictures to be continued in my next reply

Last edited:
Here it is! grungy, dirty but complete with little visible damage. the trap door was stuck but the guy in the warehouse told me how to get open.

the scrape down the center if where they took the layer of grease off to see if it had any proof marks (I found some on mine which is one of the reasons I got it)

center photo you can barely see a marking, it says Snider Patent (with snider arrow symbol), a matching arrow symbol is on the far left and 2 apparent British proof marks between (a Crown with AS under it).

After some liberal use of penetrating oil I let it soak.

Last edited:
I removed the stock from the barrel ( the hardest part was getting the slightly bent cleaning rod out) and used a hammer and punch to carefully tap the locking lug and got the breech to open.

Finding it nice and pretty inside.

I was finally able to see down the bore and was pleased to see what appears to me to be good rifling

On the underside of the barrel I found very light surface rust and a small pitted place about mid barrel.

Last edited:
I removed the lock, finding some Sanskrit on the inside (indicating the lock was likely made in Nepal) but what I was most suprised to find is globs of grease that was still wet after well over 100 years!

That's as far and I have come so far, I will keep updating this thread as I continue.

Are there any proofs on the barrel, or just the breech? They used some british breech blocks with Nepal made barrels. A really good one also has a british barrel, with "Steel" stamped on it. Sometimes the "Steel" is stamped on the bottom side.
Here is a video a buddy of mine made on the markings you'll find on an all steel gun.

Are there any proofs on the barrel, or just the breech? They used some british breech blocks with Nepal made barrels. A really good one also has a british barrel, with "Steel" stamped on it. Sometimes the "Steel" is stamped on the bottom side.
Here is a video a buddy of mine made on the markings you'll find on an all steel gun.

don't know yet, working to get the crud off the barrel, I'll let you know once it's cleaned up

Back
Top Bottom