• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My most prized possession

My most prized possessions, two S&W revolvers that belonged to my dad. One is a .32 six shot, pearl handle, nickel plated revolver, circa 1949. The other is a Model 49 bodyguard, pearl handle, nickel plated, .38 I can still see my dad shooting these weapons. He passed, 30 years ago last month. Those weapons will never be sold.

My wife has a nickle plated .32 S&W revolver w/ pearl handles that her grandmother left her too, don't know when it was made though.....got to be old like yours though.

small semi auto pistol grandad brought back from overseas 30+ missions tailgunner over berlin, naples ,etc WWII
A TRUE HERO!!
Can't find much from the WWII guys anymore, God Bless Them All wherever they maybe and I'm sure those that have gone on sit in the presence of the Master.
I'm in my 60's now and I was both privileged and honored to have grown up around these fine gentlemen and ladies, our communities were full of them.
When I went into the USMC in 1965, there was a number of them still in, most lied about their age and enlisted as young as 14. There was a staff sergeant for one that was in the Makin Island RAID with the Marine Raiders..he was 15 at the time.
What I remember most of all of them was that they had truly gentle natures though without a doubt, they were the toughest men and women that ever lived.
They didn't talk a lot about their deeds but more of life and how good it is and our country and it's greatness and right and wrong and how we kids should strive to follow honorable paths..you learned a treasure chest full from these guys if you listened..they were our scout leaders, pastors, school teachers, police officers,community leaders.
Yours and the OP's grandfathers gave guys from my time the knowledge, the will and the path to follow as we made our own ways in our own lives and conflicts.
SORRY, WASN'T TRYING TO STEAL OR DIVERT YOUR THREAD BUT I JUST FEEL LIKE EVERY TIME WE HAVE A CHANCE, WE SHOULD HONOR AND PRAISE THESE GREAT MEN AND WOMEN, SO MEEK AND SO HUMBLE, YET WHO SERVED SO BRAVELY AND SO WELL!

Badger hit the nail on the head, guys.

I was blessed to have the parents I did.
Dad was US Army and landed on Normandy Beach in the second wave.
He was a machine gunner and made it to the Battle of the Bulge before he caught srapnel through his left leg.

Long story short, me being the youngest child I was also around a lot of wise elders along with my common sense tried and true Christian parents.
A part of my heritage and upbringing that I can't describe in value.

But I do have a bayonet Dad brought back.

He would not talk about his war experiences when I was young but the last few years before his passing he told them and I am glad he repeated them enough for me to remember.

Can't really describe the feeling watching the aged vets in the American Legion during Dad's funeral a few years ago.
The rifles being fired, the lone bugler and the flag folding and presentation...... priceless.

Shame on us as individuals and a Nation if we do not remember and honor our veterans and honorable members in the armed forces every chance we get.

Back
Top Bottom