• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My most prized possession

Shot in the dark here, but if any of you ever go into the wal-mart in winder and see the old man door greeter in a chair, shake his hand.

His name is BJ, and he is almost completely deaf from artillary shells in korea. He spent almost the entire war over there in combat. He is one of the greatest guys I have ever met, has more stories and character than anyone on here could hope to have, and yet he is completly forgotton about (when I worked there they would LITERALLY forget he was out there, never give him his breaks or bring him water on hot days, and even force him to sit in the freezing cold and snow, telling him if he comes inside he is fired)

The ONLY thing that I miss about working for wal-mart was the priviledge of having him as a co-worker

For me, this is a difficult question. My father was a walking history book. To begin with, he was born on Armistice Day... yes, the day itself... November 11, 1918. I simply cannot decide whether it is the nearly 1,000 78rpm record collection of originals like Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, etc. that he left me; or is it the duplicate copies from the original role of film of photos taken during World War II, some of which are unbelievably famous (e.g., second raising of the American flag on Iwo Jima, signing of the Japanese surrender on the USS Missouri, etc.); or is it my grandfather's .22 cal. No. 27 Hamilton Rifle made in the early 1900s given to me by my father (photos attached!); or is it the German 8mm Mauser rifle that my father took off a German soldier during World War II (photos attached!); or some of the other things he brought back home with him following the war (American, German, and Japanese medals, knives, bayonets, etc. - Yes, my father is one of the few people I know who was in both the Pacific and Europe during the war)?

It's a difficult question...

As one person pointed out... I guess my most prized possession is the memories I have of him and the stories he shared with me. He didn't talk a whole lot about the war, but boy did he have some other stories to tell! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom