• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mistake #89 & #90

RSBrown

Default rank <200 posts Supporter
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
Posting this to hopefully help another beginner, I have made so many mistakes, most by just not paying attention.

Recent purchases include H4350 for my 6.5 CM and some Berger .30 175gr VLD Hunting bullets for my 308, seemingly unrelated yet caused #89. I was loading my new 308 bullets, completed 25 to the correct CBTO, yay me! I was looking for my other .30 bullets to round out a box and I see two Varget cannisters and thought how strange as I only bought two. Yep, loaded these 25 with H4350, which I could find no load data for so I needed to pull the 25 wonderful deer killers.

Problem #90 - Put in my cam lever Hornady puller (great tool BTW), pulled one then had a senior moment or got distracted and ran my press in the wrong direction - jammed the ever loving crap out of the plunger up into the casing. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't grab the next bullet, but that happens when the plunger is jammed tight and the collar wont make contact. Felt incredibly stupid again.

Looked online and saw that Hornady is good about replacing when other idiots did this before me, so I sent them an email as it was after business hours. Caught a break when Academy in McDonough showed one in stock, and it was there for me to buy. So, all bullets pulled, powder reclaimed, and cases reloaded and bullets made. If you are a new reloader, buy a puller. More importantly pay attention or pay the price

Scott

It's so easy to get distracted. When I'm loading, I don't listen to music, watch tv, talk with anyone, etc. And after about an hour, my mind still starts to wonder. As soon as I feel it happening, I stop and call it a day.

And fully agree, every reloader needs a puller.

It's so easy to get distracted. When I'm loading, I don't listen to music, watch tv, talk with anyone, etc. And after about an hour, my mind still starts to wonder. As soon as I feel it happening, I stop and call it a day.

And fully agree, every reloader needs a puller.
Lol, I’m just the opposite. I usually have a beer sitting there, music playing, the wife and I hold conversations and other things all while I reload. But…..I don’t load for precision rifle on a single stage press either, it’s not happening! Or I will put her on another press so we can really crank out the ammo quickly. My presses are set up so all you have to do is pull the handle. Everything else is automatic, we don’t have to touch anything. My rifle rounds are proven out to 600yards, so I’m good about that. I can make 100 rounds in 4 minutes. I just need to hit the target quickly and move to the next one. Steel doesn’t care where it’s hit:)

I have to admit, if I did load for precision, I would have my bench lined up with some Area 419 Zero Presses, those are some extremely sweet precision presses.

Lol, I’m just the opposite. I usually have a beer sitting there, music playing, the wife and I hold conversations and other things all while I reload. But…..I don’t load for precision rifle on a single stage press either, it’s not happening! Or I will put her on another press so we can really crank out the ammo quickly. My presses are set up so all you have to do is pull the handle. Everything else is automatic, we don’t have to touch anything. My rifle rounds are proven out to 600yards, so I’m good about that. I can make 100 rounds in 4 minutes. I just need to hit the target quickly and move to the next one. Steel doesn’t care where it’s hit:)

I have to admit, if I did load for precision, I would have my bench lined up with some Area 419 Zero Presses, those are some extremely sweet precision presses.
Some time back I wanted to upgrade my "precision" press. I did quite a bit of research and ultimately wound up with a MEC Marksman. I've been well pleased.

Posting this to hopefully help another beginner, I have made so many mistakes, most by just not paying attention.

Recent purchases include H4350 for my 6.5 CM and some Berger .30 175gr VLD Hunting bullets for my 308, seemingly unrelated yet caused #89. I was loading my new 308 bullets, completed 25 to the correct CBTO, yay me! I was looking for my other .30 bullets to round out a box and I see two Varget cannisters and thought how strange as I only bought two. Yep, loaded these 25 with H4350, which I could find no load data for so I needed to pull the 25 wonderful deer killers.

Problem #90 - Put in my cam lever Hornady puller (great tool BTW), pulled one then had a senior moment or got distracted and ran my press in the wrong direction - jammed the ever loving crap out of the plunger up into the casing. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't grab the next bullet, but that happens when the plunger is jammed tight and the collar wont make contact. Felt incredibly stupid again.

Looked online and saw that Hornady is good about replacing when other idiots did this before me, so I sent them an email as it was after business hours. Caught a break when Academy in McDonough showed one in stock, and it was there for me to buy. So, all bullets pulled, powder reclaimed, and cases reloaded and bullets made. If you are a new reloader, buy a puller. More importantly pay attention or pay the price

Scott
just something to consider- everyone makes mistakes and it's up to us to learn from them.

can you figure out how you made your mistake, and what you can do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

sure, double check everything, but think about a system. I learned to keep my powders in a separate area, and only have the one powder I'm working with in the loading area. I 3d printed some labels that I can snap around my Dillon powder tube that have inserts to show was powder is in the hopper, and leave the can nearby for easy visual reference. I have a dry erase board with the load I'm working on for easy reference or in case I have to leave and come back at some point. etc. etc.

just something to consider- everyone makes mistakes and it's up to us to learn from them.

can you figure out how you made your mistake, and what you can do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

sure, double check everything, but think about a system. I learned to keep my powders in a separate area, and only have the one powder I'm working with in the loading area. I 3d printed some labels that I can snap around my Dillon powder tube that have inserts to show was powder is in the hopper, and leave the can nearby for easy visual reference. I have a dry erase board with the load I'm working on for easy reference or in case I have to leave and come back at some point. etc. etc.
I keep my powders in separate drops, clearly labeled and these I use when loading rifle cartridges. Expensive to have twelve different drops, but I have never made a mistake with the powder I'm loading. The progressives (650 & 1050) I have labels I use to denote the powder and last measured drop weight for my handgun loads. Also a member of the "only the powder I'm using on the bench" club. Everything else is in the cabinets.

A few years back showed the wifey how to reload.. All went well till she had a beer, wasn't paying attention and had bullet seating issues. If I want to have a drink while in the reloading room i do an about face and tie flies on fly-tying bench.

A few years back showed the wifey how to reload.. All went well till she had a beer, wasn't paying attention and had bullet seating issues. If I want to have a drink while in the reloading room i do an about face and tie flies on fly-tying bench.
That’s when you show her how to use a bullet puller next:) it’s kinda hard to screw mine up, since all you have to do is pull the handle on them.

Back
Top Bottom