• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Milsurp hunting.....

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
I am posting this here because I want to know how the collectors use their rifles in a hunting capacity. I personally hunt with The ODT mosin pu sniper I snagged last summer. It's great and reliable but heavy.

What have you hunted deer with this year or years gone by? Do you prefer one over another?

Anyone hunt with Russian m44 m38, Finnish Mosins? American warhorses? German warbirds? British 303? Anyone use C&R semi autos? Sks? Svt 40? German g43? If you hunt with a G43 you have waaaaay to much $ lol.

I am sort of looking for a lighter version of a mosin. What an oxymoron. Or maybe a American rifle in 30/06

What say you.

I used to hunt with a stock m-38 as a brush gun, but i used my 03a3 if i might be shooting distance shots. I hunted squirrels once with a converted .410 Enfield just to try it out but it was way too heavy

I used an SKS back in the 90's (not trying to get it started here but dont tell me 7.62x39 is like a 30-30).For most of the last 15 years or so it was all typical, commercial 30-30, 270, 30-60 and 45-70. I recently picked up a Sporterized .303 I plan on hunting with some.

Wouldn't say any of them are "collectors" but I have used an old sporterized Enfield No4 Mk1 in .303Brit in the past. Both the 180 and 150gr commercial loads will put em down fast for the dirt nap. Also used an SKS and it works just fine with commercial soft points or Ga Arms 125 ballistic tips. I've carried my AK a time or two but didn't see anything. I do like to carry it though because it's compact and easy
I took apart some cheap 7.62x54R ammo and replaced the bullets with .308 accubonds of equal weight. Even though a couple of thousandths of an inch smaller they engage the rifling just fine and shoot very well. I did have to make a small adjustment to the neck to hold the bullet. I haven't tried them on game but see no reason they wont do just fine from any Mosin.
As far as a smaller lighter American rifle to hunt with, just pick up a used Savage 10 or 110 in the caliber of your choice from the classifieds here for a couple hundred and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom