• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metal roof over asphalt roof?

I recently reroofed. I inquired about metal but the total cost was a little over double. With an 85 square roof, double is really expensive.
The comparison was 2 different companies. A metal roof company out of the Woodstock area priced standing seam, almost top of the line vs a local roofer with Certainteeds very top of the line architectural shingle. I really wanted metal but I think I need both kidneys.

Metal. Just memories of when I was a child in PR and the rain hitting the roof. Funny story, a couple years back we rented a cabin up in Ober and it had a metal roof. It rained hard the second night and the wife didn’t sleep a wink, I slept like a baby.

You can kiss your cell signal goodbye. My in-laws did that at their lake house years ago and then had to go out onto the porch to make a call

Even though I have good cell phone signal most places I go including my home and office, my phone utilizes WiFi calling 90% of the time. I don’t know that I ever use cellular while at home.

Most cell phone 5 years or newer can be setup to do it automatically.

and go white, or at least a light color! helps reflect, and much cooler!
I'll never use white again. I did that on a house maybe seven years back, turns black. I have pressure washed it twice (that will make your butt pucker) turns black again. This time around I went with the silver and hope. Both were done over asphalt, one screwed directly to shingles per the makers guidelines, the other to 1x4s to straighten out some roof problems.

Metal seems to be higher than shingles here and the screws I hear only last 10-12 years. Standard metal was almost double. Standing seem sounds great but my quote for it was 4-5x cost over shingles.

Hard for most people to cover that up front. I figure I can do 3 shingle roofs even with inflation and most likely still be under the price of a standing seam roof. Also you get to spread that cost out over the next 40 plus years.

Back
Top Bottom