• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Men Of Our Word

I've done deals with Noobs (like me) and one "old timer." All were professional, courteous, on time and a pleasure to do business with. Like another poster said, this is probably just the law of averages. There have been douchebags since the beginning of time, and I don't see how ODT can be immune. But having dealt with other online trading forums, ODT is FAR SUPERIOR in my estimation.

As a new, but fairly active, guy, I was first drawn to this site because of the perceived integrity and sense of fraternity. I too have had a couple of guys go stealth on me after being very close to a deal. Sometimes folks just need to be educated about the expectations and group norms. But I will be honest, what has been most disappointing to me is the number of long time members (thousands of posts and high feedback ratings) who are not only rude, but act like complete @$$es when you ask a question or make a statement that they don't like. Seems like it is the same guys who obviously are active on this site just to make a profit.

i appreciate your comment rdogger.

Had a newbie up the ante in an already agreed upon deal, but I let him slide on it, because he was new. Hope he learns that once you agree to a deal that meets your terms and set a meet, you don't just change what you want and back out when you don't get it.

Seems that phrase has lost it's meaning to some of our members over the past 6 months.

I guess this is a mini butt-hurt rant but lately it has been bad. From the busted .223 ammo deal from yesterday to a few of my own in the past few days.

Had a deal with a member for some ammo and had to ask him for a day or two reschedule since I was at home feeling like the walking dead. He agreed to same time frame and location just a few days later and said no problem. Yesterday, the same ammo was re-listed for sale. Oh well.

Also received a PM from a buyer/trader who wanted to do a trade with me. We exchanged multiple PM's and then radio silence even though he was continuing to be active on the forum. Just blatantly ignoring my PM's. Again, not a big deal but I was looking forward to the trade he had offered me.

I don't know what can be done to resolve the issue, probably nothing. I guess if anything I hope a new user reads this and realizes this is how we operate here on the ODT. We are not an auction site, we are a giant fraternity bonded by common interests in firearms. We look out for each other because we know/hope that our friends and fellow traders wold do the same for us.

If you plan on backing out of a deal, or rescinding an offer without letting the other party know, ask yourself if you would treat your brother the same way.

Mini-rant over...I need some coffee.

You may proceed to agree or flame me.

I think with some of the veteran ODT members this is true, and I use the word "some" loosely due to the fact that I've seen veteran members trying to bend the rest of us over on prices. New people? forget about it. I've seen more and more new people opening accts and listing their stuff for 3-4x's what they paid for it, which I find insulting. It's insulting that they think we are dumb enough to pay any where near those crazy prices. This site is divided, and with most people it comes down to the mighty dollar, nothing else. I have good friends on the ODT and know who I can trust and who I can't. I'm ok with that.

I've had 7 great trades in the last month and a half I've been on here and dealt with at least as many boneheads. One guy wanted me to drive to "SHOW" him a gun I have forsale so he could decide if he wants to buy it or not, not gonna happen. I've noticed that some of the worst people on here are the ones running around telling the noobs in private or on their threads how over priced they are or constantly being rude in a thread, it's mostly the same group of people. Character has nothing to do with time in.

As a new, but fairly active, guy, I was first drawn to this site because of the perceived integrity and sense of fraternity. I too have had a couple of guys go stealth on me after being very close to a deal. Sometimes folks just need to be educated about the expectations and group norms. But I will be honest, what has been most disappointing to me is the number of long time members (thousands of posts and high feedback ratings) who are not only rude, but act like complete @$$es when you ask a question or make a statement that they don't like. Seems like it is the same guys who obviously are active on this site just to make a profit.

i appreciate your comment rdogger.
LOL! Most of those guys were on here when I was a newbie, too. Apparently they have sense of ownership. Still a great site I enjoy daily.

Have had good and not so good lately. Noobs need to understand if they send a PM saying "I'll take it", we turn down other offers and hold on a their response to set up a meet. Getting back to someone several hours later that you found the item elsewhere or for you now realize the distance and do not want an item is not the way to operate. Look at the sellers location, read the complete post and don't say "I'll take it" in a PM if you are not committed to the transaction. Do unto others etc.

I have had one deal fall through. We had agreed on everything except the exact location of the exchange. I was to call the day prior to arrange the final destination for the transaction. The member said, man something came up and I can't do it. No problem, life happens and this is a hobby/passion, it is not life or death and someone else will come along who wants my weapon. Even if no one wants it,it's not the end of the world and life continues.
I guess it depends on the situation but I do not feel like the buyer has done anything dishonorable and I harbor no ill feeling towards him for it.

Back
Top Bottom