• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Medicare in Georgia?

Make sure you enroll in Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance). I don't pay anything for Part A. The monthly premium for Part B, $148.50, is deducted from my Social Security payment.

Whatever Tricare you currently have will automatically convert to Tricare For Life (TFL). TFL is free (you earned it) and is secondary to Medicare. Your spouse (if you have one) will continue on their current Tricare plan at the single rate.

I recommend having the VA fill all prescriptions. If you're rated at 100 percent, it shouldn't cost you anything. Otherwise, if go with Express Scripts. A 90 day supply of meds is inexpensive.

I have a VA primary care provider and a civilian provider. I make sure they get each other's lab results, but the VA doctor fills the prescriptions. It's not double dipping. You earned it and paid for it. As you get older, especially if you have complications from military service, it pays to get second opinions.
this what, I needed to know. This helps me allot. If you are a Veteran don't forget to take your DD-Form 214, when you apply for Social Security you get an extra $200 a month. Thank 's guys.

this what, I needed to know. This helps me allot. If you are a Veteran don't forget to take your DD-Form 214, when you apply for Social Security you get an extra $200 a month. Thank 's guys.

Apparently, the $200 a month had been factored in before my retirement. It applied to really, really older retirees.

Also, don't forget to get a new ID card. It expires when you turn 65 and are eligible for Medicare.

Good luck!

Make sure you enroll in Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance). I don't pay anything for Part A. The monthly premium for Part B, $148.50, is deducted from my Social Security payment.

Whatever Tricare you currently have will automatically convert to Tricare For Life (TFL). TFL is free (you earned it) and is secondary to Medicare. Your spouse (if you have one) will continue on their current Tricare plan at the single rate.

I recommend having the VA fill all prescriptions. If you're rated at 100 percent, it shouldn't cost you anything. Otherwise, go with Express Scripts. A 90 day supply of meds is inexpensive.

I have a VA primary care provider and a civilian provider. I make sure they get each other's lab results, but the VA doctor fills the prescriptions. It's not double dipping. You earned it and paid for it. As you get older, especially if you have complications from military service, it pays to get second opinions.
That explains a lot. I didn't know it changed. My dad was Vietnam era and I didn't stay but 8 active and 3 reserve so no tricare for me, just VA disability and SS.

I'm not a health care expert but I don't know why you would be dropped by Tricare. My dad is retired military and he is in his 70s now. Pretty sure he still has Tricare but then again he is in good shape and looks about 25 years younger than he really is. Maybe it's different with disability?

My wife who is retired Army went through this. Rude awakening if you are successful you pay more!

The standard Part B premium amount in 2021 is $148.50. Most people pay the standard Part B premium amount. If your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years ago is above a certain amount, you'll pay the standard premium amount and an Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA). IRMAA is an extra charge added to your premium.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs

Medicare is very confusing. While it is true the standard for under 88,000 bucks is 148.50, there are plans that knock it back to $78.50. I am on one and that is all I pay.

There are also prescription drug plans that start at about $25, mine is free .

Back
Top Bottom