• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Medical people, what would be some good classes/training to take?

Thats awesome, never would have thought about a banana for practice haha. Thanks man.

Im wondering if I am looking in the wrong place entirely for this. I mean, it is pretty well known that anyone with formal prehospital medicine or nursing training, especially anyone that is certified, is going to tell you to let a professional handle things. About the most any layman is going to get realistically is whatever the latest flavor of CPR is being taught at that moment.

This is for good reason I think, the same good reason most IV solutions are Rx only and antibiotics are too: because most people are dumb.

I think my best bet might be getting in contact with survival supply places like The Survival Store to see if they have any leads. I remember seeing flyers for classes last time I was in there but didnt catch the details, might swing by and take another look.

I was going to suggest that you check some of the survivalist websites. I think what you are looking for is survivalist emergency medical training...what to do when there is no Dr. or medic around. The Survivalist Store may be a good place to start, too. If you find what you are looking for, please post for the rest of us.

I can do some informal classes. We just need to set something up. Maybe at my gun club.

That would be awesome, where is your club located? We should get together via PM and talk about the details and some possible topics.

http://www.medicalcorps.org/

This one offers some great courses but you have to travel to them.
Regardless who is supposed to do what, it is knowledge I would like to have

Seems like they are pushing the Potassium Iodate agenda pretty hard there haha, could barely stray away from that and find information about their classes. I am a Potassium Iodide man myself, never had a taste for the 03.

I don't know if this is the best survival book I ever read or it just got me on my way to becoming a survivalist.

Attachments

• 02262012 001.jpg
    02262012 001.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 13
I didn't read everybody's comments, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered. If you are looking into SHTF scenarios: I was a Navy Corpsman (FMF) for 8 years, (so I could suture if I had the gear), but: Getting sutured without lidocaine hurts like a bear. (Check into superglue for very shallow cosmetic cuts). Other things to keep on hand: sanitary napkins, duct tape and as I'll mention later, gauze pads and iodine. :cool:

First, you need a lot of practice to get really good at suturing. It's been a long time since I did any, but certain parts of the body (fingers, soles of feet) are very tough to get the needle through. Other places aren't so bad. If you contaminate the suture thread, you drag the contamination into the wound. You also have to consider the depth of the cut. You go too deep, and don't use absorbables inside, you are creating the potential for serious problems. On areas that stretch, you need to use different kinds of stitches to keep the stitch from tearing. You don't stitch stab wounds, avulsions or animal bites. For the SHTF scenario, or when I'm in the sticks, I like keeping sterile gauze 2x2's and 4x4's and a supply of simple iodine. May end up with a bigger scar, but I'd leave the suturing to the pros.

I've been through a basic EMT course, combat casualty training to go with the Marines, and a few other training programs that helped develop the mindset. If you are really interested, and have the time and money, go through an EMT course. You can put it on your resume and it will give you a greater level of confidence even outside the emergency situation. If you don't; learn basic first aid and if the situation occurs, just do what needs done. A lot of emergency care is common sense based on simple basic training.

Last edited:
Some fire departments and hospitals allow students to come in and watch procedures. You might try that. BTW Learn how to do CPR, suture wounds,use an Eppi pen,give insulin, stop bleeding, and deliver babies, and you should have 95% of your training covered:)

There are some rumors of a few ex Spec ops medics and a former SF P.A. getting together a SHTF med course around the Ft. Benning area. Talk is that it would be 3 days in the sticks learning rapid wound closure, combat lifesaver skills, basic 'ditch medicine' using improvised materials, splinting, and even pulling teeth. Only bad side I see to a course like this is the supposed cost of $1500 for three days, which I guess is a bargain when you think how valuable this knowledge could be. I will inquire further and see if this a real thing or just a rumors if there is interest in this.

Back
Top Bottom