• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Medical people, what would be some good classes/training to take?

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
Looking for information from first responders/EMT's/nurses/etc about good first aid and medical classes to take to broaden my skills. I am an Army veteran with standard Army first aid and casualty training (ie, I know enough to be dangerous and not enough to really help) and would like to get more updated training on CPR/rescue breathing, basic trauma care, administering IV's, suturing, setting bones, etc.

Not really looking to learn from a book, I do too much of that already. Wanting hands-on training. If you have any suggestions on where to take classes, what classes to take, and what to avoid, I would appreciate it.

You can always check the American Heart Association website. I am a CPR/Heartsaver course instructor through them.

Gwinnett Tech offers EMT, and medic training. Sewing, stapeling, and setting bones is a MD's job. Some mid level like PA's and Nurse Practs. can do it. But its always under a doctors order. Unless your in the military.

Gwinnett Tech offers EMT, and medic training. Sewing, stapeling, and setting bones is a MD's job. Some mid level like PA's and Nurse Practs. can do it. But its always under a doctors order. Unless your in the military.

^^^^^ I completely agree. You nailed it right on the head,

I just checked out Gwinnett Tech and they do have a few classes but they are not exactly what I am looking for. The only ones I saw that were relevant were CPR for the Healthcare Provider and Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers Online Part I (which is not live training anyway). Am I not looking in the right section?

GT offers diploma classes in EMT and Medic. I think what your wanting is something quicker right? Like a few day class...Not going to find that there. Emt is 12 months, Medic is another 12 months.

Also, i appreciate the insight into who can and can not do things like sutures and setting bones, unfortunately there may come a time when any one of us will HAVE to do it. I want to be as prepared as I can for this situation should it arise. Im not going to chase my girlfriend down to sew her up when she cuts herself in the kitchen or hang IVs on my friends after we go for a jog and they are tired. I am looking for practical knowledge that I can store away for a rainy day, given in group setting in person where I can ask questions and have some hands-on practice.

On a side note: suture sets are $3 a piece anywhere you go, turkeys are under $2 a pound, and time is free, therefore anyone can learn to sew people up in the privacy of their own home and they don't even have to be an MD or a nurse. This is not what Im going for.

GT offers diploma classes in EMT and Medic. I think what your wanting is something quicker right? Like a few day class...Not going to find that there. Emt is 12 months, Medic is another 12 months.

Right, Im looking for a 3-4 day course spread out over a month, adult education or something along those lines. I wish i was in the damn Army again, this would be easy haha.

Just as a side note suturing on a banana is better. It teaches you not to pull to hard. I have never heard anything like your wanting offered. Im sorry...I can do come classes for whoever wants. Youtube and books are about your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom