• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Massive bridge in Baltimore collapsed after being struck.

Damn, yeah I just saw the video this morning. Looks like at least half a dozen cars went in as they were on the bridge when it collapsed, along with construction workers... Sad.

Man….just watching that footage proves that the captain was either asleep or just not paying attention. That is way way stupid as far as navigating that ship goes. Totally preventable and just insane.
If they are still alive there needs to be some murder charges (among others, of course) brought against the captain and crew members responsible
Crew accounted for and evacuated.

Man….just watching that footage proves that the captain was either asleep or just not paying attention. That is way way stupid as far as navigating that ship goes. Totally preventable and just insane.
If they are still alive there needs to be some murder charges (among others, of course) brought against the captain and crew members responsible
Yeah that's what I am trying to figure out. My knowledge of how cargo ships navigate through ports like this, is that they use a local crew that meets the boat before it comes in, and they take over control to navigate it through the channels like that. Not sure how that could have not been an accident.

Yeah that's what I am trying to figure out. My knowledge of how cargo ships navigate through ports like this, is that they use a local crew that meets the boat before it comes in, and they take over control to navigate it through the channels like that. Not sure how that could have not been an accident.
Ah, this I didn’t know. I am not too savvy on ships and the like.
I am an automotive and truck mechanic ! :becky:

Ah, this I didn’t know. I am not too savvy on ships and the like.
I am an automotive and truck mechanic ! :becky:
Only reason I know is my brother in law who lives in Charleston and has friends who do this for a living. There's a whole system to navigate these cargo ships going in and out all day. They get in these big boats, ride out to the ship before it makes it that far in, and hop on board. Then a pilot boat kind of leads the way and the local guys navigate it through, under bridges, etc to wherever it needs to dock, and helps get them back out to sea as well. Just because they know all the water ways there so well.

In other words, they don't just let the guy from Singapore or wherever whose never been to that port, just ride on through.

Only reason I know is my brother in law who lives in Charleston and has friends who do this for a living. There's a whole system to navigate these cargo ships going in and out all day. They get in these big boats, ride out to the ship before it makes it that far in, and hop on board. Then a pilot boat kind of leads the way and the local guys navigate it through, under bridges, etc to wherever it needs to dock, and helps get them back out to sea as well. Just because they know all the water ways there so well.

In other words, they don't just let the guy from Singapore or wherever whose never been to that port, just ride on through.
Yep…I can see why !

What a nightmare...
Seems strange those sections aren't independently supported... when one went down, they were all doomed to fall, like a house of cards... Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I wouldn't want to be dealt that hand...:pray2:

What a nightmare...
Seems strange those sections aren't independently supported... when one went down, they were all doomed to fall, like a house of cards... Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I wouldn't want to be dealt that hand...:pray2:
Yep…you are correct !! I am still praying for those involved !!

Back
Top Bottom