• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Marlin Model 81-DL - HELP

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
I've got what I think is a pretty nice Marlin Model 81 bolt action .22lr rifle. It's very accurate.

Marlin - Model 81 - 2.jpg

It's tube fed. The problem is that when you cycle the bolt to fire the next round, it doesn't bring up the next round...

The problem has gotten progressively worse over time. When I first acquired the rifle, it would not bring up a new round about once every 20 shots. Now I'm lucky to bring up the next round at all.

I thought it might be a weak spring, but took the spring guide out and attempted to cycle, and it would bring up a round with the same consistency as when the spring guide was in place.

I figured taking it to a gunsmith to repair would run as much or more than the rifle is worth.

Anybody have experience with this problem in similar type rifles?

This is my seven year old's favorite squirrel gun, and I'd like to get it running again. Thanks.

Last edited:
A disassembly of the feeding system with a good scrubbing may help this issue. I would attempt it first since it doesn't cost money .22 LR is a dirty little round but I love it. The bullet lube gunks up the feeding system far too often to not consider it first.

Back
Top Bottom