• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Marlin 55 Goosegun restoration

November Sierra

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
188   0
Reaction score
Some time last year my sister in law's dad showed me an old worn out Marlin 55 Goosegun. Being the brash young man I am, I quickly offered to restore the metal for him. I reblued it once already and showed it to him. Only problem is the pitted rust on the barrel. I've taken steel wool, light grit sandpaper and even a file to it. Still no progress. Could anyone help me out with techniques or methods with remedying this pitted rust?

Degrease and boil in water for 20 to 30 minutes. It will turn the rust to black oxide. Use steel wool to remove oxide. Coat heavily with oil and let sit for 24 hours.

Deeper pits will require a hand file a small one like a jewelers file works pretty well. Remove metal just to the base of the pit then even everything out so the lines flow nicely, then mover to block and sand paper for flats, dense foam and sand paper for curves. Start with 150-220, move up grit (400-800) when the metal has been smoothed out and flows well a finish sanding will wrap it up for bluing or other.

Back
Top Bottom