• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Marlin 336 or Winchester 94

Marlin 336 or Winchester 94

• Marlin 336

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Winchester 94

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Two Mexican Hookers and a case of wine

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters
There is only one option, Marlin.
My safe has Marlins from 1972 to 2013, of course the JM versions are my fav.
From the 39A to the big bore, they are just classic and to be worshipped.

You never saw a cowboy break a Marlin stock off on a tree, did you?
...and apparently Winchester is only as good as a case of wine and two hookers,
according to the poll numbers I saw.
h

There is only one option, Marlin.
My safe has Marlins from 1972 to 2013, of course the JM versions are my fav.
From the 39A to the big bore, they are just classic and to be worshipped.

You never saw a cowboy break a Marlin stock off on a tree, did you?
...and apparently Winchester is only as good as a case of wine and two hookers,
according to the poll numbers I saw.
h

Never saw John Wayne USE a Marlin at all. hmmm.....

20150707_220611.jpeg
20150707_220603.jpeg
20150707_220556.jpeg

I've owned both...but I still have my like-new '78 94 in 30.30.

Last edited:
Never saw John Wayne USE a Marlin at all. hmmm.....

I also challenge you to find where the Duke used a 30-30 either.

If your talking 38-40 or 44-40 etc, then the winchester is the way to go but for a "20th century" cartridge, then the "Duke Factor" does not hold as much sway.

If your looking to go "old school" then there is absolutely no reason to not buy a winchester. But if you want the most practical "old-style' lever action, the IMHO the marlin has it beat. In a similar vein, would you rather have a 1903a1 or a Model 70 to shoot 30-06? It depends on your desires.

(Yes, I know the .30 WCF predates 1900 by just a few years, but it is still more of a 20th century cartridge than a 19th century one. Similar to the .38 special.)

Last edited:
I also challenge you to find where the Duke used a 30-30 either.

If your talking 38-40 or 44-40 etc, then the winchester is the way to go but for a "20th century" cartridge, then the "Duke Factor" does not hold as much sway.

(Yes, I know the .30 WCF predates 1900 by just a few years, but it is still more of a 20th century cartridge than a 19th century one. Similar to the .38 special.)

uhhhh so? Question was Marlin or Winchester, nothing to do with caliber. LOL. Some folks is just amusing.

uhhhh so? Question was Marlin or Winchester, nothing to do with caliber. LOL. Some folks is just amusing.

You are correct that the original post did not mention caliber. But I don't think it was too much of a jump to to assume the OP was trying to decide between two rifles that shot the same caliber. Since the 336 is limited to the more modern calibers (.32 sp., 35 rem., 30 wcf etc.) I made the assumption that he was comparing the benefits of the two pieces in those calibers. If similar caliber is not part of the consideration then why limit to the 336 and 94?

To me this assumption is not any more outrageous than to think that the OP cared about what John Wayne thought, even through he should. :) I thought your post about JW was a great one, as no one could give more clout to the argument than him.... it just got me thinking more about the differences between the two and trying to imagine what cases the Duke might consider a Marlin.

For the record. I don't believe in scopes on a lever gun, so the top eject on the winchester is not an issue. I also think the winchester is a nicer looking piece than the Marlin. And, the history of the winchester cannot be denied. I just think when it comes to overall design/maintenance/utility there is no better design than the 336, for the range of cartridges for which it was designed.

I've never owned either in anything but 3030. Presently own 2 marlins having sold my other Marlin and both of the Winchestersame I owned. Took 5 deer with a Marlin 3030 as well. Love both, which is why my earlier post said both or either. For compactness, light weight and nimbleness of use the Winchester rules hands down. For adding optics the angle eject or kakamamie side mounted options are really not as great as the simple side eject of a Marlin. And yes, I've always liked optics for 100 yard shots, i don't have the best vision in the world.

IMO, the 3030 is just a natural fit for the lever gun and vice versa. My bro in law had a Marlin in 44 Mag, but it just weren't a 3030. I did fall half in love with one in 45 long colt once with an octagonal barrel. Texan style and the shop had a Ruger Vaquero in 45LC as well. Man I'da loved having that setup but had no use for them other than want.

Well, I'm glad both are still available. I've had 3 Marlins and had 3 Winchesters. Still have 2 Winchesters. If you want a rugged lever gun that easily takes a optical sight go Marlin. If you want a light weight, ultra slim trim woods walking around gun go Winchester. I've got scopes on my bolt guns so my lever guns have receiver sights and post front sights. To me, putting a scope on a Winchester 94 is like putting mud tires and winch on a Buick. You can do it but neither was designed for the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom