• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marauder Style Conversion

This is it. Buttstock is done, almost. First step is the rubout. I cut the last coat down level with a gentle rubout with 0000 steel wool, same as every coat. Now, from satin to satin lovely, smooth and warm.

Rub the stock well and firmly with fff stock polishing compound. Keep rubbing till it feels right...I guess the description is it dosn't snag or drag or flutter, it just pulls smoothly over every area of the stock. I rub with the grain. When its rubbed to satisfaction, buff it off with a dry cotton towel and then apply the first of several coats of Johnsons paste wax. LET THE WAX DRY, works best that way. Buff out each coat of wax on a clean terry towel. I even wax under the buttplate and later, in the action recesses. Buff, Buff and it'll look and feel great. Easy as pie to restore a stock, just takes some effort thats all.

i.imgur.com_MJ2Sl.jpg

So, heres what it looks like after rub and wax and buff. Forend won't be as pretty, its straighter grain but hopefully the black grain will come up like it did for this stock. Its all original parts. They don't look perfect, they don't even look absolutely new but....they look pretty good, I thinks.

i.imgur.com_aSn74.jpg

i.imgur.com_YgYbN.jpg

i.imgur.com_QLzn7.jpg

i.imgur.com_rTlzT.jpg

i.imgur.com_OD6RQ.jpg

i.imgur.com_1oMbQ.jpg

I love reading your posts. Amazing work. They are great tutorials and very interesting reading. Thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

Looks killer, I just got done buffing out a Black Walnut Guitar body today myself. Very rewarding,,, again nicely done. ++++

Foreend is finished so time to move on to metal work. Process for refinishing the foreend was the same as for the buttstock. About 7 coats of TruOil rubbed in and out, buffed and waxed. I'll pack it up in the dent free zone untill needed again at final assembly where it'll get waxed again and installed.

The grain pattern is less swirly but sure shows up nice. Also some matching green and gold in the stock. Overall its a pretty good match for the buttstock. I suppose the lesson I take from it is not to hide the wood under brown tinted spray on coatings. Mostly, I find wood looks just fine natural, certaintly better than most false color finishes. Even birch can shine under an untinted finish if treated in a way that higlights its natural beauty.

i.imgur.com_Mneyr.jpg

i.imgur.com_K5cFf.jpg

i.imgur.com_NqWsS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom