Major frustration after deer down this morning

what about the tenderloins?
Know what you are saying....average size doe..tenderloins are kinda small. I didn't mess with the neck either. If it was shot in the shoulder, left it as well. I would take meat off of shoulders and use it for stew. I would debone the hind quarters, filet it out, make a pesto rolled up and tied and slow cook it in a dutch oven and made jerky with it too. Steaks out of the back straps . I was not one to take many deer and ate all I took. I gutted a few big ones to lighten the load. Only remember a few when I was by myself

Care to share your technique?
I had a winch and one of those coat hanger looking things to hang it. Sharp knife. Mine is buck c110. Like a razor. Cut around anus, cut off tail, slit hide down sides and legs and remove hide from back and legs. Use hack saw to saw off below knees. Position a cooler under deer. Remove back straps. Hard part is finding those ball joint sockets on rear legs. Front shoulders come off easy. Pour bout half box of salt over meat and throw in a bag of ice. I usually let mine sit couple days in the brine.

Back
Top Bottom