• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Magazine tube issues with the Mossberg 940

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
There is a known issue with the Mossberg 940 Tactical, where it oftentimes will not accept the 7 rounds it was built for.

Customer brought his gun in, and we looked over some of the online "fixes" for the issue, none of which reliably solved the issue. Most of the time, I could only get 4 shells in the magazine.

In my opinion, there are 2 issues at play here:
1. It's a Mossberg
2. The factory magazine tube extension is made by Choate

I replaced the customer's factory-installed Choate magazine tube extension with one from Nordic. All issues went away, and he reports that she's running flawlessly.

The 940 takes the same magazine tube extensions as the 590/590A1, 835, 930 and 935.

There is a known issue with the Mossberg 940 Tactical, where it oftentimes will not accept the 7 rounds it was built for.

Customer brought his gun in, and we looked over some of the online "fixes" for the issue, none of which reliably solved the issue. Most of the time, I could only get 4 shells in the magazine.

In my opinion, there are 2 issues at play here:
1. It's a Mossberg
2. The factory magazine tube extension is made by Choate

I replaced the customer's factory-installed Choate magazine tube extension with one from Nordic. All issues went away, and he reports that she's running flawlessly.

The 940 takes the same magazine tube extensions as the 590/590A1, 835, 930 and 935.
I was the customer and all that is exactly correct. It is a widespread problem on the 940 tacticals and people can’t seem to get it corrected, so I’m really grateful for your competence in identifying and correcting the problem with Nordic parts in your inventory. The Choate extension was poorly machined and I’m still mad that Mossberg would do that on a $900 shotgun. Thanks again for your help. Next time I buy a brand new POS $900 shotgun that won’t work, it’s good to know where to find you, which is at TruPrep in Marietta (you deserve the mention, but if inappropriate please edit or DM me to do so).

I was the customer and all that is exactly correct. It is a widespread problem on the 940 tacticals and people can’t seem to get it corrected, so I’m really grateful for your competence in identifying and correcting the problem with Nordic parts in your inventory. The Choate extension was poorly machined and I’m still mad that Mossberg would do that on a $900 shotgun. Thanks again for your help. Next time I buy a brand new POS $900 shotgun that won’t work, it’s good to know where to find you, which is at TruPrep in Marietta (you deserve the mention, but if inappropriate please edit or DM me to do so).

You’re good!

You’re good!
One more thing to add here. The people who have sent their 940 Tacticals back to Mossberg have received them back with a new mag tube spring and an uncorrected problem. The people who have called Mossberg received a new spring in the mail. I have yet to see anybody have the problem corrected by Mossberg. That’s why I did not even bother. One guy I talked to said his would only load 4 and when he got it back from Mossberg a month later it would load 5. I reckon that’s progress and if he sends it back two more times he might be up to the advertised 7.

I just purchased a Mossberg 940 pro tactical. Same feeding problem, but I was lucky after reading some threads. I did what everyone else did took it apart reassembled tried it thinking their was some plug. After doing a take down several times i found the spring was hanging up on the edge of the follower in the tube by feel of it, when I put the spring back in and tighten the extension back down, I slowly turned back out a few turns and heard the spring expand inside the tube, when I heard that I tried to load again and was able to load it out with 7 rounds, I went to the range put 2 boxes of bird shot they are weak loads and the bolt didn't charge some of the rounds until the last few rounds of the first box, the second box it shot like a champ, no loading issues, no jams bird shot cycles just fine every time 7 in the tube . I think you have to make sure the spring stays in the follower at the factory or bevel the inside edges of the follower so the spring can end up inside the follower from the factory or when customers disassemble and reassembled wont be having the same issue. Happy shooting!

The disassemble/reassemble "trick" did not work for this particular 940. Hence the new, upgraded, better magazine tube.

Back
Top Bottom