• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Macon Bibb Commissioner Says HB60 "creates open season" in Government Buildings

mountainpass

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
15   0
Reaction score
These folks need to concern themselves with the criminals(4 Homicides in a week) and not license holders.

Also just know the bill does not mandate any security changes. It just allows licensed folks to carry in government buildings(not courthouses as they are off-limits). Currently only words keep guns out of the buildings without security.

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/2014/05/27/guns-in-government-buildings/9635785/

"You can carry a firearm into this building, attend meetings armed, and there's nothing anyone can do about it," Commissioner Scotty Shepherd said.

"We've had people come to these meetings with bags, with bottles with liquid in it, and it's frightened us," Commissioner Elaine Lucas said.

"We've got another state-mandated law with nothing in place to help us control it. The cost, $250,000 is just an estimate to make a building secure, and that's just one building!" Shepherd said.

"What's the price of life itself? What's the price of saving one person, much less a multitude of people that gather here?" Schlesinger asked.

Other commissioners say the new law is over-arching and too many loopholes aren't covered.

"They went too far, when they really just created open season on citizens who might not have a gun or who might be in the line of fire if somebody has a gun with no restrictions placed on them," Lucas said.

During the committee meeting, Commissioner Gary Bechtel said the new law is a "scary situation both real and budget-wise."

He said screening each individual at venues like the Centreplex could cause inconveniences and long lines to those trying to enjoy an event.

Some commissioners mentioned performers may pull out of shows if they aren't guaranteed restricted access and safety at the venue, which could add up to a big monetary loss for the county.

Commissioners say they plan to voice their concerns about the new gun law to local legislators.

Then the reporter talked to Jerry

If you are THAT afraid of the people you govern then maybe you should either find another line of work or reconsider how your "governance" is affecting people. People aren't a threat to the ones they like. SO if you're that hated that you have a valid reason to fear...QUIT.

Well, I'll have to add "well informed" to my description of Bibb Co's elected officials. I honestly don't know how some of them get re-elected (over and over and over).

They should be a hell of a lot more concerned about the walk from their car into the building than what goes on during the meeting. I mean if someone were really going to shoot you, would it be more likely to happen in a room full of people or the parking lot?

Everything since Littleton and Sandy Hook has really shed light on the one party system. But some still refuse to open their eyes.

Back
Top Bottom