• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to get into welding

Good choice. Take your time setting it up. Get to know how the controls work under differing conditions/materials. Watching videos won't teach you how to weld only practical experience can do that.
Good luck.

Can I suggest taking a course at a local technical school.. It will have up to date equipment and you get to use their equipment and their materials. The expense is minimal.

I'm saying this from experience, i didn't know squat about welding but wanted to learn enough to have a competent conversation. i took two quarters in the evening and could turn out a pretty competent bead when i got through.

Can I suggest taking a course at a local technical school.. It will have up to date equipment and you get to use their equipment and their materials. The expense is minimal.

I'm saying this from experience, i didn't know squat about welding but wanted to learn enough to have a competent conversation. i took two quarters in the evening and could turn out a pretty competent bead when i got through.
x2 , take a class at the local technical college. You can burn all the sticks and wire needed, plus they provide all the steel, I'm signed up for my second semester. If you really push it, and follow their schedule, you can get a diploma in 12 months.

if you can find a good old tombstone welder for a decent price its worth picking one
up. the older units have better windings and were built to last a lifetime

Just a bit of advice is that if your metal is fairly thick you can always heat it up to around 300 degrees and then apply the filler. Having a machine that runs off of 220 is much better when just starting out. If you use flux core wire with the 180 you will not need Argon.

Just a bit of advice is that if your metal is fairly thick you can always heat it up to around 300 degrees and then apply the filler. Having a machine that runs off of 220 is much better when just starting out. If you use flux core wire with the 180 you will not need Argon.

Thank you for the advice!!! I have the 180. Just need to wire the right outlet in the garage. Hopefully next weekend I will have time to do it

Back
Top Bottom