Looking for dog training tips

acog1988

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
37   0
Reaction score
So we just got a 7 week old blue heeler pup that I would like to begin training. We got him to be a companion for our 2.5 year old son. We have a 9 year old black lab mix that's not trained in anyway except not to potty in the house. I know these are great working dogs but I'd like and all around dog if possible. We live on 14acres on a river and have chickens but no other animals. Looking for training tips to get this little guy to be the perfect mix of protector,companion and maybe working dog to an extent. Thank you in advance for any help. Oh and I've never really trained a dog except when I was a kid and it was basics like sit,lay and stay.

Use commands consistently. Many dogs just don't understand what they are supposed to do because the owner is being confusing. Use bits of hard dog food for treats for reward training. Never hit your dog. If they won't listen or act up really bad, the strongest discipline, which WILL get their attention, is to grab them by the skin of the throat with both hands, lift them up so the front legs are off the ground, and look them dead in the eye while scolding them. Maybe shake them a little by the throat if they resist. It's an alpha dog thing. A real attention getter. But never hit your dog. That will ruin them.

When I use to train my dogs I would pick up beef liver and slice it thin, put it in the oven at low temp to dry it out..These I used as treats for rewards, much less costly than commercial crap. They learned quickly due to the training and their reward..

When you do your training, you must be absolutely consistent with your training.

In the military we were taught to use what is called escape training. Use the leash to guide the dog into the correct position. This is simply applying pressure with the leash and hands to encourage the dog into the desired position.

Try looking at some youtube videos. BTW The military did not use food or treats in the training process.

Make sure the dog has a safe space. Try and refrain from using gender specific labels. The dog may not identify with its biological sexuality. Make sure all behavior is rewarded so the canine will have high self esteem. Once you have done all these things contact Bear44 Bear44 for further training advice.

Make sure the dog has a safe space. Try and refrain from using gender specific labels. The dog may not identify with its biological sexuality. Make sure all behavior is rewarded so the canine will have high self esteem. Once you have done all these things contact Bear44 Bear44 for further training advise.

No tree hugging,bed wetting liberal puppies being raised in this house

PM your name and address. I'll send you a copy of our CD, DVD and Workbook. This material is not meant as a stand alone training program, but it will help overcome some of the most common misconceptions out there. We can start with these tidbits:

Most conventional wisdom about dog training in the US is wrong. This includes most available training literature.

Tidbit #2:
Teaching a dog the meaning of a command is not training. Training is teaching them it's not optional.

And #3:
Dog training is not conditioned response. The most basic understand of conditioned response is that it is a reflexive reaction to a specific stimulus. There is nothing reflexive in dog training. Training is getting the dog to consistently make the right conscious decisions.

Back
Top Bottom