• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for Advice/Suggestions.......

airx22

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
Our neighborhood had a break in yesterday and this isn't the first. I want to place a gun somewhere in the house for easy access,right now everything is in the safe and obviously not readily available. That's the issue.

My problem is we have a 2 and half year old (that should explain itself) Iv'e suggested to my wife we could put it somewhere up high way out of his reach ex:top of frig.....she says noway.

One last thing if and when we do find a good compromise I feel like the weapon should be racked and ready.
What do you guys think ? suggest ?

Yea, if you put it up high, it needs to be high enough so the young one can't get to it by standing on a chair. Have you considered carrying it on your person?

Get a quick access pistol safe, stored just under the bed, or in a nightstand drawer. Familiarize yourself with the opening procedure thoroughly, so that you can do so by muscle memory, even in complete darkness. I have a numbered keypad one, 4 digit code, and can have gun in hand within two and a half seconds. Of course I also have the traditional shotgun mounted high above a doorframe too.

Last edited:
Way up high seems like a good idea,but before you know it they are moving chairs and climbing on counters and table tops etc. My kids are now 7 and 10 and there is no safe place period. I did the high and out of the way thing and was horrified to find out they will get where they want to go one way or another at very early ages. All I do these days is have three dogs(two BIG ones) and my everyday carry that is with me 24/7. The dogs have the run of the house and will know someones around long before I will.

Yea, if you put it up high, it needs to be high enough so the young one can't get to it by standing on a chair. Have you considered carrying it on your person?

Well no I haven't.....probably something to really think about. I guess cause when I'm home I'm fairly comfortable,shorts no belt kinda thing.

Way up high seems like a good idea,but before you know it they are moving chairs and climbing on counters and table tops etc. My kids are now 7 and 10 and there is no safe place period. I did the high and out of the way thing and was horrified to find out they will get where they want to go one way or another at very early ages. All I do these days is have three dogs(two BIG ones) and my everyday carry that is with me 24/7. The dogs have the run of the house and will know someones around long before I will.

I thought about inside our bedroom closet above the door,bought a cheap holster from a garage sale $4.00 my Steir 9mm fits well. Thought I'd mount the holster to a stud........?? I don't know tho.

The small single pistol "Gun Vault". Mount it firmly somewhere and practice, should only take about two-three seconds max to deploy (if that). I would not leave a firearm open and high with a two year plus year old, not safe practice IMO. I had the single gun size in a large kitchen drawer in my old place back in the day and it was close enough to snatch at night if there was a knock on the front or back door. Later two more in the BR for night and the ex's duty weapon.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes.html/

http://vimeo.com/73181325

Last edited:
The small single pistol "Gun Vault". Mount it firmly somewhere and practice, should only take about two-three seconds max to deploy (if that). I would not leave a firearm open and high with a two year plus year old, not safe practice IMO. I had the single gun size in a large kitchen drawer in my old place back in the day and it was close enough to snatch at night if there was a knock on the front or back door. Later two more in the BR for night and the ex's duty weapon.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes.html/

This my be my best way to do it. Thanks

maybe a gun in wall safe in the closet - maybe a dummy drawer in bedside night stand - the problem is you want it qwik when u need it - so having a little one makes it a challange - just dont tell anybody but the wife where you stash it after you do

Back
Top Bottom