• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking For A Rifle Range

Astolt12

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
18   1
Reaction score
I recently started reloading about a year ago and am still working on designing different loads for my rifles (308, 3006, 556)

I used to shoot at Creekside Firing range up in Taylorsville, GA but it looks like despite being a member they just up and closed. I enjoyed their 550 yard range and their 100 yard range was perfect for what I needed. They had decent shooting lanes and I didn’t need anything fancy to shoot off of. Their tables were good enough.

I use a chrono to help get bullet speeds and work up to a max load safely so indoor ranges are out. Also, not a huge fan of being in them. Generally a lot of questionable antics.

I had tried a few state game land ranges but had trouble getting to a bench and when I did there was always someone asking how much longer will you be, lol. Plus the one up north of Taylorsville had nets as their target holders making it impossible to hit consistently in the gully with a light wind. The bullet wasn’t moving but the target was!

I’m looking to find one that isn’t egregiously expensive (initiation fees + annual membership). Creekside was 300$ a year, and I only was able to use 7 months of my time unfortunately. River bend looked great but they want 900$ to just get your name in the hat if I read correctly.

Does anyone have any insight to ranges or someone with private land that would be able to accommodate? I will gladly pay for either option.

I plan on checking out CMP here next weekend, but that is about 2hrs one way from me and cost about about 60bucks a trip for admission plus 2hrs if I calculated right.

Thanks all

Attachments

• A35FB8D7-048B-4F9E-8E38-B2E2F517AB34.jpeg
    A35FB8D7-048B-4F9E-8E38-B2E2F517AB34.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 16
Go to CMP. Seriously, just go. It's the nicest rifle range you'll find in the SE with their facilities and digital target system.
CMP is $30 for a full day of rifle and pistol range. I think it's $5 off for first timers and military/LE, but not 100% positive. Go on the weekend - you can leave your house at 8 and get there when they open at 9 thanks to the time zone change. I've made the trip from Cartersville a dozen times now. It's the kind of place you can spend all day at - just pack a cooler with drinks and food. They've got golf carts for the main range, so you can pack heavy and bring all the toys you want to.

Go to CMP. Seriously, just go. It's the nicest rifle range you'll find in the SE with their facilities and digital target system.
CMP is $30 for a full day of rifle and pistol range. I think it's $5 off for first timers and military/LE, but not 100% positive. Go on the weekend - you can leave your house at 8 and get there when they open at 9 thanks to the time zone change. I've made the trip from Cartersville a dozen times now. It's the kind of place you can spend all day at - just pack a cooler with drinks and food. They've got golf carts for the main range, so you can pack heavy and bring all the toys you want to.

I will definitely try this place out one day!

I always looked just in Georgia for a rifle range but I won't be paying some huge amount of money to target shoot a few times a year just so I can shoot further than 100 yds. For just $30 a day with no membership is insane for what you get compared to the places here.

Just have to narrow down which gun's to take out there.

Back
Top Bottom