• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for a new AR - Steel Casing Issues?

The main issue I have heard if you shoot a lot at a class, the steel case can get "stuck" in the chamber (Steel expands at a different rate than brass, what the rifle was designed for) , then you have to remove it. Besides that I don't see a big issue. Extractors are a part like tires on a car it wears, and you will eventually replace it if you use the tool.

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure that this wasn’t a factual statement.

Does anyone have a preference betweeen these 3 rifles? Sig Tread, Springfield Saint Victor, or the R 556?
You can get a Larue lower and upper for under $1200.

I have no interest in Springfield anything, personally.

I'd pick the sig out of those. You could also get a PSA and a case of ammo. Or build a sweet Ballistic Advantage rifle. All sorts of good options.

You can get a Larue lower and upper for under $1200.

I have no interest in Springfield anything, personally.

I'd pick the sig out of those. You could also get a PSA and a case of ammo. Or build a sweet Ballistic Advantage rifle. All sorts of good options.
Colt LE/CR 6920

This and this. Between a Sig and a Springfield I would get the Sig, but would take a Colt or a Larue over both.

I’ve heard good things about the iwi Zion series of ar’s. They seem to be high quality for the low price tag and my buddies shoots steel case with no issues.

We have one on our rental wall and run steel cased ammo through it regularly with no issues.

Don't take my word for it, come try it for yourself. We may or may not have one in stock in retail but if we don't and you like it you can go back to your LGS and buy it.

If steel case is a serious prerequisite, I’d look on YouTube at the Nutnfancy channel all the ARs he reviews he denotes if they did or did not cycle/shoot steel case well. Be warned he is a long winded in his reviews
I like nutnfancy's stuff, however a few things he's reviewed and I have, I've had different experiences with.

Back
Top Bottom