• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for a new AR - Steel Casing Issues?

Jonah13

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new AR-15. I had previously sold my Daniel Defense, stupidly, and I really loved that rifle. It ate every type of ammo that I fed it, including all of the russian steel stuff.

I want to get a new sub $1,000 gun, so I've been looking at the Sig M400 Tread and the Springfield Saint Victor. The problem is, I shoot a lot of steel and I was told by my LGS that these rifles wouldn't shoot steel ammo and would jam.

Does anybody have any experiences shooting steel out of either of these rifles? Also, does anyone have any other recomendations for a sub $1,000 rifle with a rail?

I by and large shoot brass. **** tons of steel as well. Honestly no problems.

Sounds yo me like your lgs guy is probably an older guy that remembers the steel with lacquer on it gumming up.

I haven't owned an m400 or victor, but I find it hard to believe those won't eat steal and spit them out.

I by and large shoot brass. **** tons of steel as well. Honestly no problems.

Sounds yo me like your lgs guy is probably an older guy that remembers the steel with lacquer on it gumming up.

I haven't owned an m400 or victor, but I find it hard to believe those won't eat steal and spit them out.

Thanks for your reply. He mentioned something to me about the ejector or something being a hybrd and not NATO. I had never heard of that before, so I wansn't sure if he being was accurate or not.

Thanks for your reply. He mentioned something to me about the ejector or something being a hybrd and not NATO. I had never heard of that before, so I wansn't sure if he being was accurate or not.

I don't know as much as a lot of guys here, but I don't know the hell that'd mean lol. I understand nato standards and mil spec but I'm pretty damn sure the two rifles you mentioned meet or exceed those. Maybe he was saying that most steel case is made in Russia and might not meet the right specs? Still sounds likely mostly hog wash. Was he trying to steer you towards buying a more expensive gun by chance!?

I don't know as much as a lot of guys here, but I don't know the hell that'd mean lol. I understand nato standards and mil spec but I'm pretty damn sure the two rifles you mentioned meet or exceed those. Maybe he was saying that most steel case is made in Russia and might not meet the right specs? Still sounds likely mostly hog wash. Was he trying to steer you towards buying a more expensive gun by chance!?
He wasn’t trying to sell me anything, I was in there getting a new rail for my Takedown, but Inwas asking his opinion on a few rifles and he offered that info. I hope it’s not true as I was going to get either the Sig or the Ruger AR556.

Gun counter nonsense. Both of those rifles will handle steel cases fine. If they don’t, there is something wrong with them and they need to be sent back.

steel cases ammo will wear out an extractor quicker, but with the thousands of dollars you will have saved on ammo by that point, you can afford to replace the 8 dollar extractor.

steel cases is underpowered and dirty, and most indoor ranges won’t let you shoot it, but your gun will eat it fine.

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure that this wasn’t a factual statement.

Does anyone have a preference betweeen these 3 rifles? Sig Tread, Springfield Saint Victor, or the R 556?

Back
Top Bottom