• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range Shooting with .22

I've shot 200 yards with a .22LR and late with a .22 WMR. I was getting 2 feet of bullet drop compared to 100 yard zero, and the groups were about 10" or so. Cheap bulk ammo, not premium ammo, and only an improvised rest.
I've seen others do it at Riverbend Gun Club, 200 yard slow fire prone shooting, and they'd get 5" groups at 200 yards. With iron sights.
One day I'd like to experiment and see about ringing a gong at 600 yards with a .22 LR.
I'd just need to fabricate a special mount to tip my scope at a visible angle downward, and I'd have to do this out in a dry dusty field where I could spot my misses and walk the rounds into the target.

Two real problems with shooting extreme ranges with a 22lr are the fact that you are dealing with a transonic bullet at relatively short range and that the ballistic coefficient on these bullets is very low, so even a slight gust of wind will blow it all over the place. A huge arching trajectory is the least of the issues.

Love the long range shooting!

IMG_20140928_192558040.jpg

I sight my .22s in at 50 yards and figure anything past 75 can keep on trucking. 100+ yard shot with a .22lr ...even if you hit a squirrel, you probably wouldn't give him much more than a headache. I did get a clean head shot on a big fox squirrel once at about 150 yards while I was sitting in a stand waiting for a deer to finish dying...but that was with a .30-06.

Back
Top Bottom