• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Long range Shooting with .22

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
Using cheap bulk ammo (winchester white box 555) 3 decent shots grouped well, then I pulled 2. Shooting from a prone position with some varying wind blowing somewhere between east and south east (I'm shooting north) I tried to shoot as the wind stopped as it wasn't constant (I really need to get a windsock to put on the property for when I'm shooting)

I'm having a little trouble with my breathing. I shake a lot so sometimes I have to hold my breathe two or three times before I'm comfortable pulling my shot. I always breathe in, hold and fire. I was shooting from a prone position with a bi-pod, distance is 150 yards. I'm happy with the three shot group, not so much the two I pulled. But its nice to know that the rifle is capable of sub MOA groups, its just getting me to the point where I can do it consistently.

Any advice other than lots of practice? Target is a 14" plow disk that was covered in duct tape. I figure its a fine target for 150 yards with a .22 and hey, I got it for free lol I can't see where I hit through the scope, I have to walk to the target, so its nice to hear the ping.. plus the second or two before you hear the ping after pulling the trigger is kind of cool too :)

12003981_10203696449450942_8119207315161937201_n.jpg

Question. How do you know you pulled two? Did you call one high and one left before you saw the results?

I think that's your group, and it's pretty good for 150. Your group is your group, you don't get to pick the ones you want. Perfect practice makes perfect. Read up on how to do NPOA drills. Combine that with dry fire, and make the most of your range time when you do make it out.

press shot at the pause after exhale. dont hold your breath, dont alter your breathing cycle.
shooting steel is fun, i love it too!!! something satisfying about hearing that distant ring isnt it.

366 yds 13.5 mils of elevation, 3.5 mils of wind avg. the box 22 will get out there but the sd's(speed variation) gives it too much verticle variance to be real reliable on a small target.

i actually started out shooting scrap steel like you.

I know i pulled because i saw it in the scope as i pulled the trigger. Just didnt squeeze it uniform, its another one of my flaws i need to work on. Pulled the second one because i was upset about the first and didnt shake it off

Last edited:
Don't hold your breath. Don't exhale completely. Just find the natural pause in your breathing. Like the ending of a casual sigh. Don't even close your throat like you are holding your breath. Holding your breath or forcing a full exhalation causes tension and what you want is compete relaxation. Take a deep breath or two before you do this so you are oxygenated well when you stop breathing. That will give you more time to make the shot before your body starts reacting to the fact you have stopped breathing.

Relax. Be just about ready to take a nap on the rifle.

I know i pulled because i saw it in the scope as i pulled the trigger. Just didnt squeeze it uniform, its another one of my flaws i need to work on. Pulled the second one because i was upset about the first and didnt shake it off

Turn the power down on your scope while you are working on the fundamentals. If you can see the impact on target, it's too high. Concentrate on breathing, NPOA, and trigger control and follow through.

Don't hold your breath. Don't exhale completely. Just find the natural pause in your breathing. Like the ending of a casual sigh. Don't even close your throat like you are holding your breath. Holding your breath or forcing a full exhalation causes tension and what you want is compete relaxation. Take a deep breath or two before you do this so you are oxygenated well when you stop breathing. That will give you more time to make the shot before your body starts reacting to the fact you have stopped breathing.

Relax. Be just about ready to take a nap on the rifle.

Perfect advice.

Any advice other than lots of practice? Target is a 14" plow disk that was covered in duct tape. I figure its a fine target for 150 yards with a .22 and hey, I got it for free lol I can't see where I hit through the scope, I have to walk to the target, so its nice to hear the ping.. plus the second or two before you hear the ping after pulling the trigger is kind of cool too :)

View attachment 537990

My advice is to go to an Appleseed shoot. We'll help you work on the fundamentals and get you on the right track. There's one in Summerville this weekend...

Back
Top Bottom