• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Loads for winchester JHP vs Hornady XTP

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I have a supply of AA#9 for loading my 357 magnum. The current Accurate Arms load data lists loads for a 357 magnum 158gr Hornady XTP bullet (WSPM primers)

No.9 158 HDY XTP 12.4 1,202 13.8 1,367 35,022 1.580

I'm having trouble finding specific load data for other brands of JHP... specifically, Winchester 158gr 357 JHP.

I know the drill: start on the low end and work up carefully.

I don't want to do anything crazy but I'd like to get it into a credible deer-hunting ballistic range. I'll be shooting these in a Ruger New Model Blackhawk so it's plenty of gun.

Can anyone point me to some relevant data? Or share what you've found to work?

There are some AA#9 recipes at handloads.com but they don't specify the brand of bullet -- just "JHP".

13.0 gr No. 9 1,261 fps 1.58" CCI 500 Accurate

That load is in the middle between min and max of the XTP load in the Accurate load manual, but it doesn't specify what kind of JHP and it calls for CCI 500 primers rather than WSPM which Accurate recommends. I've had unburned powder issues with CCI 500 and AA#9 in the past so I'm skeptical of that recipe.

Is there a source for load data specific to Winchester JHP?

Do you have a reloading manual? As far as recipes, most general book loads from non-bullet manufacture will just say JHP. This is due in part that most JHP are of the same length for a given grain weight. With a .357 mag, and most other revolver projectiles, they are gonna have a cannelure. This cannelure will be your seating gauge for most loads. It can also serve as a place for a roll crimp, if wanted.

I have multiple reloading manuals. Reloading manuals are like clocks. A man who has one, knows what time it is. A man who has two is never quite sure.

Are cannelures always at the same offset from the base of a JHP bullet? And is weight distribution the same on all JHP of the same caliber and weight? It's a little spooky to see cautions like this one in the version 3.2 Accurate load manaul:

Caution: Reducing the seating depth may dramatically increase pressure in some handgun cartridges. Always use caution when changing seating.

That's counter-intuitive to me. I would expect seating less deeply would reduce pressure. So I'm hesitant to make too many assumptions on things that might affect pressure in unexpected ways.

If someone has actual field experience with AA#9 and Winchester 158gr 357 bullets it would be helpful.

I have multiple reloading manuals. Reloading manuals are like clocks. A man who has one, knows what time it is. A man who has two is never quite sure.

Are cannelures always at the same offset from the base of a JHP bullet? And is weight distribution the same on all JHP of the same caliber and weight? It's a little spooky to see cautions like this one in the version 3.2 Accurate load manaul:

That's counter-intuitive to me. I would expect seating less deeply would reduce pressure. So I'm hesitant to make too many assumptions on things that might affect pressure in unexpected ways.

If someone has actual field experience with AA#9 and Winchester 158gr 357 bullets it would be helpful.

No they are not, due to the weight distribution you mentioned. They do that so that the round will not be too tall and will fit in the cylinder. One example that come to mind is the Hornady FTX's, if you don't push em in to the top of the cannelure the tips will drag on the cylinder. You are very wise to be cautious on new loads. If you follow published data, and seat on the cannelure, I think you should be golden. I can't say that I have a lot of experience with AA#9 but the little I have I did not like it. For my money Longshot or H110 are better options(cleaner).

That sounds reasonable. I have a supply of AA#9 that is probably enough that some will be passed down to my heirs. It has performed pretty well for me with SWC and XTP as long as I use WSPM primers. Unfortunately, I don't have a lifetime supply of XTP bullets so in today's market I use what I can get.

Older AA 3.2.2 load data (runs a bit hotter):

No.9 158 HDY XTP 13.5 grns. @ 1,293 15.0 grns @ 1,470 44,900 PSI 1.580 OAL

I have used this 110 grain JHP loading in a 4" Ruger GP without any issues. It makes a killa fireball.

No.9 110 HDY XTP 16.6 grns. @ 1,589 18.4 grns, @ 1,803 43,700 PSI 1.575 OAL

Older AA 3.2.2 load data (runs a bit hotter):

No.9 158 HDY XTP 13.5 grns. @ 1,293 15.0 grns @ 1,470 44,900 PSI 1.580 OAL

I have used this 110 grain JHP loading in a 4" Ruger GP without any issues. It makes a killa fireball.

No.9 110 HDY XTP 16.6 grns. @ 1,589 18.4 grns, @ 1,803 43,700 PSI 1.575 OAL

Yes, I have that version of the manual also and they do run hotter.

158gr at 1470fps = 757 ft lbs energy.
110gr at 1803fps = 793 ft lbs energy.

I'll try working up a load in that range with the 158gr Winchester JHP's. I think that bullet in the 1400fps range ought to be sufficient for whitetail deer. Maybe even for wild hogs, or black bear.

editing to add: that's getting into Buffalo Bore range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom