• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

LMT rear sight

I tried a different ammo yesterday in better light: IMI 62gr. At 100yds, aiming at the six position, the difference between large aperture group and small aperture group is academic.
DSC01463.JPG

I tried a different ammo yesterday in better light: IMI 62gr. At 100yds, aiming at the six position, the difference between large aperture group and small aperture group is academic.View attachment 2741939
Thats fine shooting with irons sir.Most excellent.I would think a man could make good hits well past 300 with consistent groups like those.Well done.IMI is good stout ammo.

Thats fine shooting with irons sir.Most excellent.I would think a man could make good hits well past 300 with consistent groups like those.Well done.IMI is good stout ammo.
Conditions for shooting with irons were about perfect: sun low and in back, no wind, no coffee in system, notwithstanding I may have stumbled on an exceptional rifle as well.

Conditions for shooting with irons were about perfect: sun low and in back, no wind, no coffee in system, notwithstanding I may have stumbled on an exceptional rifle as well.
Humble man.I like it.Thats why you will continue to shoot this combination well.Best of luck to you sir.Looks like you have a recipe for success.

If you want to get an idea of the reality, its all about acquisition time. CM was almost certainly right about the POI not being center.

From a low ready, shoulder and fire 10 with the small aperture quickly. You will(should) be more accurate but slower. Opposite with the large. Thats the nature of the sight. It feels more natural using the large when you're closer, as it should. That 4" won't matter at 10-15yds. Especially when there's 5 or 6 more coming right behind it... and you can send em quicker.

I mean its possible the pin is jacked and it flips weird, but I kind of doubt that from Lewis...
I know I have noticed when shooting in bright light,I will sometimes have groups disperse horizontally at long distance,because we have a tendency to shoot away from the "glare" on the front sight.Only noticeably so at longer ranges.

If you are shooting 1.5-2" groups at 120 yards with iron sights, you have no problems.

Excellent marksmanship

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
There is also another element called "luck". Most of my groups with other iron sights rifles, under similar conditions are in the 2-3inch range. The only rifle I owned that would consistently shoot in the 1.5-2" range was my Holland & Holland 360 No5 (European designation for .38 colt long) single shot rook rifle built in 1879. Years ago I had a H&H gunsmith reface the action and work up a smokeless powder load for it.

There is also another element called "luck". Most of my groups with other iron sights rifles, under similar conditions are in the 2-3inch range. The only rifle I owned that would consistently shoot in the 1.5-2" range was my Holland & Holland 360 No5 (European designation for .38 colt long) single shot rook rifle built in 1879. Years ago I had a H&H gunsmith reface the action and work up a smokeless powder load for it.
2-3" groups at 120 yards with iron sights.....That isn't common my friend. Excellent shooting

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom