• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LMT rear sight

moosensquirrel

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I battle sighted an LMT rifle with Stock LMT iron sights yesterday and all was well until I changed (flipped) from the small aperture to the larger one: The point of impact shifted to the left about 4 inches. I thought the apertures were offset to accommodate this. What gives?

That is a head scratcher????Should not have shifted left.Maybe a little elevation shift but not windage.I would just double check when shooting that in the larger aperture,your eye is remaining as center as possible because the larger aperture is BIG and it would be easy to while shooting and concentrating on the front sight and target,to shift the eye a little in the rear.Good luck....there will be some professors along in a bit to enlighten us both LOL.

That is a head scratcher????Should not have shifted left.Maybe a little elevation shift but not windage.I would just double check when shooting that in the larger aperture,your eye is remaining as center as possible because the larger aperture is BIG and it would be easy to while shooting and concentrating on the front sight and target,to shift the eye a little in the rear.Good luck....there will be some professors along in a bit to enlighten us both LOL.
Many thanks, The sight picture with my 75 yo eyes is like a tiny dot resting on a front sight about 10x bigger than the dot (3" bull). Hard to tell what I am aiming at, but regardless, I still get 1.5-2 inch groups. Maybe I should have sighted in with the large aperture, and then switched to the smaller one?

Any help appreciated..

Ok that makes more sense....I often find it difficult to be looking thru a peep at such tiny bulls,the same each time.What you are experiencing is totally normal.

You are correct though in sighting in with the small aperture then shooting under normal conditions with the larger one.Many kudos to you shooting irons with 75 year old eyes.Keep doing it....Im afraid its becoming less popular with all the new tools a shooter has a choice of in todays world.Its my favorite way to enjoy the sport.

Without looking at it, my guess would be that you’re not centering the front sight in the larger aperture. The larger the aperture, the more difficult it is for the shooter to center up.
That may be the case, also the target is in the shade of a tree. I will try it with my bullet gong this afternoon where 95% of my shooting is done..off hand. I only use a bench for sight in and on occasion, shooting (with scope) out 4-800 yds. Here's the culprit in question:
lmt2.JPG

Tried it out yesterday, I could easily hit a 6" bullet gong, say 8 out of ten times, shooting off hand at about 120 yds. Did not seem to make any difference except target acquisition was a little faster perhaps with the large aperture.

Good deal....Fun is it not?More satisfying than using an optic IMHO.May you always smell a little Cordite in the air....Hell Id make it an air freshener or cologne if I could LOL!

Back
Top Bottom