• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let's talk Mechanical Broadheads

I switched back to a magnus stinger buzzcut fixed Blade with a small bleeder Blade. If I was going back to mechanical Rage Hybrid hands down.

What causes the blades to deploy? What triggers the process that begins extending them, and how to the blades overcome the resistance of the tissue they're going though and manage to fully extend despite that?

Will they open only if you hit deep muscle tissue? What about a gut shot?
Will they open if you hit a rib? Will they already be open by the time they reach a rib, or must they smash through the rib while in the process of opening, and fully open only after they get through the rib obstruction?

What causes the blades to deploy? What triggers the process that begins extending them, and how to the blades overcome the resistance of the tissue they're going though and manage to fully extend despite that?

Will they open only if you hit deep muscle tissue? What about a gut shot?
Will they open if you hit a rib? Will they already be open by the time they reach a rib, or must they smash through the rib while in the process of opening, and fully open only after they get through the rib obstruction?

I shot a 110lbs doe with a Rocky Mountain JackHammer about 20 years ago... Nice broadside shot at 35 yards with a Hoyt Magnatec at 73lbs draw at 31" draw length.

The mechanical broadhead opened upon entry as the ribs, were sliced clean through. Arrow went through the deer and kept going, I never did recover it.

Deer ran 50 yards and dropped like a sack of potatoes... They worked about as perfect as you would want, and being mechanical, they flew pretty much the same as my field points, so I didn't have to adjust my point of aim.

Granted, that could have been a lucky 1 in a million shot where the broadhead opened and worked perfectly, but that was my result and I was impressed.

Back
Top Bottom