• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let's talk Mechanical Broadheads

I've used Rage 2 blade, Swhackers, G5 Tekans and a couple of others in recent years. Rage produced some rather heavy blood trails and I liked the shock collar that keeps the blades from deploying prematurely. Swhackers were pretty good. G5 were good too. Despite being pleased with the Rages, I made the switch back to fixed blade heads for the simplicity and price. .

I've used Rage 2 blade, Swhackers, G5 Tekans and a couple of others in recent years. Rage produced some rather heavy blood trails and I liked the shock collar that keeps the blades from deploying prematurely. Swhackers were pretty good. G5 were good too. Despite being pleased with the Rages, I made the switch back to fixed blade heads for the simplicity and price. .

I tried the NAP Killzone's couple years ago and they were alright. I am like you, I just felt more confident in my fixed blades. I only thought about mechanical because of the larger cut. Primarily, I shot a deer last year (buck ) and I could have sworn I made a perfect heart shot. Arrow was covered in blood and great blood trail and then it just stopped. Apparently I got right up under the heart in no mans land and it started to clot up. Found pools of blood but then it just stopped after I jumped the deer 8 hours after the shot. If I had the extra 1/2" cut it may have caught the heart. Just helps with margin of error because it definitely happens with a bow.

I guess one thing I'll add is that, yes, I have bent blades. Never had any break and never had any fail to make a massive wide cut all the way through.
I've heard some of the complaints mention the bent blades or having to replace them. I guess I have a different take on it than others. I see them as disposable and expect to replace them after each use. I don't reuse or sharpen them after they have been used, even if still perfectly straight. I kill a deer or hog and I replace the blades...

Back
Top Bottom