• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let me give you a hypothetical home defense scenario

Poboy home defense option

• Ruger SR-22

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • ATI Nomad

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Hell, just run at 'em screaming and throwing last night's taco dinner leftovers

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
If you do have to shoot the 22 lr will just piss off a determined aggressor.
Unless you're some Mossad agent and can make a clean head shot with your little .22...

mossad.png

I sleep fairly soundly for the first 4 hrs of my slumber. And if I get woke up by anything besides female lips or a full bladder Im one hard to tolerate SOB. So assuming that I wake up to the sound of breaking glass, and if its not in the room I sleep in, and I only have a choice of the 2 weapons you describe, its gonna be hands down the 12 ga. And its gonna have the most lethal,wall penetrating, non frangible, grim reaper load I can find in the chamber with a side saddle full of the same load. Not that I think I will need another round unless the bastard has hurt my dog before I get the shot off.She will decide before I get there if its a friend or foe. If he did hurt my dog,then Im gonna shoot him again for good measure. And with said first shot,Im certain Ive left a good blood trail of any accomplises that were behind him by choosing a non discriminatory,grim reaper of a round, of Lucifers lead poisoning, so maybe I will have time to get dressed and drink a cup of coffee before starting up the skid steer.

You have to go with the 12 ga.

A 22 would take a lottery-winner shot to stop someone, while a good #4 buckshot load will do it right there. Plus the noise and concussion will make anyone following behind them think about life choices.

And it's not like you can't reload the shotgun PDQ. I remember seeing a video of one of the big name trainers getting off shots with a single-shot almost as fast as he could with a pump.

A single shot with a butt stock-caddy full of good #4 would be a whole lot more useful in any situation than a 22 pistol with as many mags as you can carry.

Heck, even in a 'no reload' scenario the single shot shoots pellets roughly the same dimension as the 22 bullets, and you get 24 instead of 10 (again, #4 buck), and with a lot more force behind them to boot. And after that first shot you can use the shotgun as a club if it came to that.

I did some research and using the standard FBI testing the #4 buck won’t penetrate deep enough to reach the vital organs. 00 buck would be my choice.

Back
Top Bottom