• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Latest 3D Print - 300BO Trim Jig

^^^ I'll start printing a couple more. The pic was the first one I printed and was just a test to see how well it turned out. Turned out great so I'll print more of them. That blue filament I used actually glows in the dark so if this virus results in a zombie apocalypse which drops the power grid you are still good to go!

V interesting, I've an ender 3 with bl touch mod, lot of fun.

I have a CR-10S with a proximity sensor that runs a relay that opens/closes the Z height switch. I printed a little case from a Thingiverse recipe for the relay assembly (which also has it's own power supply). Although that's been a great improvement vs having to manually level the bed every print or two it still requires a fair amount of fiddling to keep it running smoothly. I did pick up a cheap Chinesium knock off of a BL-Touch for like $10 off AliExpress but haven't bothered installing it yet. Eventually though I'll ditch the proximity sensor and hook up the BL. I actually bought several different types of proximity sensors to see which one worked most reliably. It's definitely a fun hobby but I still don't think any of these printers are exactly "consumer friendly" yet.

2ABAE5F2-6F0F-46EF-909C-0CDA8AABE979.jpeg

Not fancy but it works. Needs a bit more fine tuning but close enough for now.

FYI I had a couple of folks ask about printers and the costs. You should be able to have a good printer and filament printing for less than $250.

Best deal AFAIK is still the Creality Ender 3 pro. Easy to set up, lots of online groups for support and still pretty cheap. Luckily for us there's MicroCenters in Atlanta, so stop by and pick one up, they are almost always on sale for $199.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608315/creality-ender-3-pro-3d-printer

Buy a spool or two of PLA+ filament while you are there ($18.99 per 2kg spool) and a spare Micro SD card (so you can download and slice files while the printer is using the one it comes with. 8 GB is plenty (about $4 at micro center). I stick with PLA because it's easy to print. If you want to print other materials, look into what you need to do to have success (ABS you need a heated enclosure, etc).

I bought a little "upgrade kit" on Amazon for $20 but mainly got it for the PTFE tube and the yellow springs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081DN6RM2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using it for about a year now, the only thing I've done is re-leveled it when I moved, and recently replaced the nozzle (still a .4) when the old one finally jammed mid print. I check the level every couple of weeks if I'm printing a lot but find it rarely needs tweaking once you get it set right if you aren't moving it around.

One of these days I'm going to print the bullet feeder for my 550 but too many other projects right now, but I will say it's been very handy and surprising what I use it for and what I find online to print (Thingiverse and Yeggi are the main places to find files to print).

So for those that are interested in printing, go buy a printer, PLA+ filament and an extra Micro SD card. Follow video linked above to assemble it. download .stl file from Thingiverse or Yeggi. Download Ultimaker Cura (a "slicing" program). Import .stl file into Cura and click on "slice". save file (gcode). Transfer gcode files to micro SD card. Stick MicroSD card into Ender, scroll to what you want to print in the menu, and click on it. Printer warms up and start to print. Remove from print bed. print something else. About $250-275 and you should be printing.

if you want to create your own products, maybe start with TinkerCAD or jump in with both feet and download Fusion360 (amazingly, it's free for individual non business users). I"m still trying to learn how to use Fusion.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom