• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Land Cruiser

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Reaction score
Just putting this out there but I'm kinda in the market for a budget friendly 100 series Land Cruiser. I'm kinda particular but would prefer either black, mica, or charcoal. Open on the year but if 1999 needs rear locker, if 2006-2007 no AHC but I doubt if my budget would allow such a truck. Must have documentation of when the timing belt was last changed. No accidents. No rust. Need 3rd row seat and would prefer the rear spoiler.

Mileage I'm flexible on if documentation of maintenance is good but would prefer something with less that 250k. PM me what you got or if you happen to stumble across one in your travels let me know.

I'm kind of rusty on my Land Crusher lingo.
Please remind me what a '100 series' means.
That the FJ or the old school big Crushers?
AHC still mean automatic humidity control?

The 100 series is the most common Land Cruiser you'll see on the street today. Sold from 1998 to 2007, the "100" finally saw the change from "mostly luxurious" to a full-on luxury SUV. It dropped the 6-cylinder in favor of a 4.7-liter V8, and it added a long list of upscale features that only grew as the years went on.

Automatic Height Control (AHC)

My son's and I have a terrible Land Cruiser addiction but we're mostly into 80 series. Like mentioned above, Craigslist and FB marketplace are where we usually find them but you have to wade through a lot of BS ads. It won't hurt to keep an eye on the ih8mud classifieds too.

Anywhere you look you have to be at the right place at the right time to get a deal because they go fast. I always look for the one family owned deals. Each of our daily driver's were bought new, driven 8 or 10 years, handed off to middle age children and then sold after another 8-10 years. If they've been maintained they'll run forever.

The 100 series is the most common Land Cruiser you'll see on the street today. Sold from 1998 to 2007, the "100" finally saw the change from "mostly luxurious" to a full-on luxury SUV. It dropped the 6-cylinder in favor of a 4.7-liter V8, and it added a long list of upscale features that only grew as the years went on.

Automatic Height Control (AHC)

I'm kind of rusty on my Land Crusher lingo.
Please remind me what a '100 series' means.
That the FJ or the old school big Crushers?
AHC still mean automatic humidity control?

As Granite mentioned it was the ones built from 1998 to 2007. Some people seem to like the AHC system but it kinda complicates things when you want to lift. If I was going to keep it stock I would likely consider the AHC system and probably lean towards a LX470.

My son's and I have a terrible Land Cruiser addiction but we're mostly into 80 series. Like mentioned above, Craigslist and FB marketplace are where we usually find them but you have to wade through a lot of BS ads. It won't hurt to keep an eye on the ih8mud classifieds too.

Anywhere you look you have to be at the right place at the right time to get a deal because they go fast. I always look for the one family owned deals. Each of our daily driver's were bought new, driven 8 or 10 years, handed off to middle age children and then sold after another 8-10 years. If they've been maintained they'll run forever.

This is the key. I saw one recently on mud that was a tad out of my budget but I probably would have brought but it was already sold.

I have been kicking around the idea of looking at the 80 series but I think I'm going to stick with the 100s for now.

IMHO the 100's are entering the perfect window for buying. I bought my 60 when they were just about bottomed out price wise 13 or 14 years ago. 8 or 9 years ago I picked up a one owner '95 80 for less than I paid last week for a '96 that we're parting out.

Check several times a day and be ready to jump. The chase is half the fun!

Back in early 1990s while working at Ford dealership saw a
yellow FJ40 on the back lot. Asked the service mgr about it.
Lady that brings her Lincoln in for service had it towed in
to get it running so they could sell it. Bought it to use at their
lake property then hubby died and it had been sitting in garage.
I looked it over, had less than 5K miles. Stock except for after
market wheels added. Only mark was a dent on right rear pillar
like it had been hit by a baseball. Talked to the lady told her I
was interested in the LC. We agreed on $3500 and when we
found out all it needed was a new battery she insisted on paying
for that. After I got it home realized it still had cosmoline on certain
areas like Toyotas have shipped in before predelivery service. The
jack stored in rear area was still wrapped in Japanese newspaper.
All it needed was general wash, wax and vacuum out some cobwebs.
Advertized it in Autotrader as 'Finest Land Cruiser in Captivity'. Guy
from Covington or Cumming came to look at it with his son. They
apparently had other FJ40s at home. As they climbed around this one

made gleeful comments like "Look at This!" and "Oh, so that's what
goes there!". They also liked the antenna I added to right front bmpr.
From driver's seat pretty hard to tell where that bumper corner is.
Lot easier with tip of antenna sticking up over there. Bumper already
had small hole from factory so easy to use it for antenna. Needless
to say they took it home with them.

Back
Top Bottom